Movement of Pavers - New Travertine Paver Installation

Flyboydea

Jun 20, 2014
Highland Village, TX
I recently had our pool and adjacent patio renovated recently and I am wondering how much vertical movement in the first 6 months to 1 year can be typically expected with a new travertine paver patio that was dryset ?
Currently the installation is approximately 3 months old and there have been a lot of the pavers moving 1/8" to 1/4" vertically. It just seems like there should not be this much movement with a new paver installation.

Let me know what you think. TIA

salty87

Gold Supporter
Jan 31, 2017
Texas Hill Country
First post, cool!

We've got a bunch of pavers (not travertine) that are dry set. They were installed 4 or so years ago. I don't remember the number but way over 1k sq ft. I can probably count on 1 hand the number that have settled lower than others. None have shifted higher.

Glen Innes

Jan 18, 2021
armidale nsw
Reactive soils can move your pavers. If your sand, scallops or grade substrate is/was not packed hard or thick enough and you on a trap or clay, then as the ground absorbes water or dries out the clay swells or contracts. Up and down. Over time this may become a wave or just soft spots. Good news for dry laying is, you can lift and pack if it gets out of hand or use a wacka machine to vibrate everything to a +/- level. (With a piece or old carpet on the base plat so as not to scratch the surface)

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.