Motor Unresponsive

Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
Have VGreen 165; about 7 years old. Motor does not respond to Stop button. Randomly stops on its own, then instantly starts again. This was an issue last year. Turning off circuit breaker; push buttons to clear any memory, and then turning it back on worked then, but not now. Looked into replacing user interface, but it seems that that is not an option for this model. Am a complete loss as how to proceed from this point. Other places and/or parts I should examine? Should I consider replacing VGreen165 motor (with what?); if I replace motor, should I replace pump, too? (it seems to be working just fine). Suggestions most welcome!! Thanks very much.

Looking more & more like the purchase of a new motor is the long term solution. I know very little about what to consider when doing so. Am looking for any suggestions from anyone who knows more than I: buy same model, same brand? If one exists: buy a more efficient brand, model? etc. etc. Thanks very much.

What are you using to control the motor? An option is the Nidec Neptune 165. An example is here:

They have their own built-in time clock as opposed to the timer-only of the V-Green 165. Waterway started using them on their pumps about 2 years ago and I have heard of no problems. Most variable-speed pumps/motors can't be repaired for much less than the cost of a new motor or pump.

This is the one for your pump.

Thanks very much for your reply. Will definitely look into this. Am currently using the built-in user interface panel to control motor.
Regardless the motor you get, get a "Go kit" that will have the seal and all the O rings needed to complete the repair. Don't re-use old parts, that's asking for problems. I may be wrong about the motor. I thought I saw that you have a Hayward Super Pump, but must have been looking at a different post. What pump do you have?

Thanks for your reply. The motor is a Century VGreen 165; square flanged. No issues with the pump, and am not intending to replace it, unless I cannot find a replacement motor that is compatible. I leaning toward the Neptune 1.65 thp you mentioned earlier. Do you know who would provide the most reliable information regarding the compatibility of this motor with a pump that accommodates the Century VGreen 165? For someone like me whose knowledge of these sorts of things is rudimentary at best, your advice is most helpful. Thanks, again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.