Jun 3, 2020
Minneapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I woke up to the motor making a noise. Almost a screeching sound. It’s done this once or twice, but only recently. Turning it on/off seemed to resolve the problem. The noise started upon restart, but then seemed to go away shortly after. If I didn’t know any better, it’s almost like it was sucking air. But, the pump seems to be full, no air bubbles that I can see.

Video of the sound is here: Video Oct 30, 8 45 09 AM.mov

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I can’t see underneath at the moment. But…It’s wet to the touch down there, and I do see some calcium/mineral build up around the seal. It’s been wet here, so maybe that’s rain that hasn’t yet dried out under the motor, but that seems unlikely.

If the seal is the culprit, will I need a whole new go kit? Or just one gasket?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Yes, but it's rarely worthwhile.
Well… it’s just about closing season here. I might just take it apart and see if there are any obvious debris issues. Anything else to look out for? Any other ideas of what it could be that I should look for?

And if it is the bearings and they don’t make sense to replace, think I should just run the thing until it dies? Or will that cause other problems?

Really appreciate it.

Maybe go to a variable speed motor or whole new pump.

century-ecm16cu-3-1.jpg

Reactions: capricatunes
Isn't SuperFlo(w?) a Pentair model?

Once you separate the motor from the pump and remove the impeller you should see a slinger (rubber washer) on the motor shaft next to the face of the motor. 1st clean up the shaft then slide the slinger away from the face of the motor & check for a build up of corrosion on the newly exposed side of the shaft. Once you clean everything up try running the motor with slinger still moved away from the face. Is the noise still there?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're a DIY guy now would be a good time to pull the pump out and give you ample time to change the bearing which is cheap and a new shaft seal. By the looks of the motor it should come apart fairly easily as those long screws that hold the motor together show no signs of rust.

Last edited:
Reactions: capricatunes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.