Motor dead?

mjc123

Well-known member
Jul 20, 2018
70
Halifax, NS (Canada)
So the motor in my hot tub wouldn't turn on, so to try to isolate whether it was the motor or the control board, I took the pump out and hooked it up independently. Flipped the power on and it sparked (at which point I shut it off immediately). I'm 99% sure it was wired correctly (same as my pool pump), but either way, between the spark and the burning smell, it's clear it shorted - what I don't know is whether this was the first time or if that's the reason it hadn't worked all along. In any case, anyone here know a lot about electric motors? Clearly the stator has soot on it, but I think the short is behind the support. Any chance of getting this fixed for cheaper than replacing it? I'm guessing it's done...





 

1Sammy

In The Industry
Jul 20, 2017
211
Windsor, Ontario. Canada
Did you check to see if you have the correct voltage at the motor Before you unhooked it. A fuse may be blown or should be blown if that smoked up short happened when wired in. I "think" if it smoked just after you "rewired" it then you caused that burn job to happen, SORRY, lol.... BUT not being on site i am just guessing from your description and images.