Most common leak point after pump motor replacement?

andrew85

Oct 29, 2019
Miami
Just recently replaced the pump motor and now have a slow leak from it seems like the bottom of the housing/motor interface. Hayward SP2610X15 with a UST1152 1.5HP motor, replaced with the same. I did replace all gaskets (bought one of those repair kits from Amazon) - which did include the shaft seal and housing seal. I noticed the old shaft seal was "stuck" very well to the impeller, while the new one fits quite loosely on the impeller, which I did not replace. Not sure if that's normal. Some pics attached. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2v2HpGchGxK7bY.jpg

Old impeller, new shaft seal.
2v2HpGcgFxK7bY.jpg

2v2HpGcLqxK7bY.jpg

2v2HpGcWhxK7bY.jpg

Was your seal kit from Amszon genuine Hayward parts? We often hear of seal and O ring kits that are not original manufacturer and don’t fit perfectly.

Last edited:
A number of reviews complain of parts not as advertised and seals leaking. I would get a known .hayward seal.

The part on the impeller is upside down.

The graphite/carbon part needs to make contact with the ceramic part.

That seal is junk anyway. The one you want is U.S Seal PS-3868.

41z9QL-RxFL._AC_SY400_.jpg

The part in the picture has the graphite part at the top.

When installed, the flat part should sit flat against the impeller and the graphite part should be away from the impeller such that it contacts the ceramic part of the seal in the seal plate when the impeller is threaded onto the shaft.

There's a rubber part of the seal that can be left behind when the old seal is removed. So make sure that the whole old seal is removed.

When installing a new seal, you want to use something that will provide temporary lubricity and that will wash away when water begins to flow.

Seal lube works best but you can use dish soap.

Last edited:
Reactions: wireform and Neemer
The part on the impeller is upside down.

The graphite/carbon part needs to make contact with the ceramic part.

That seal is junk anyway. The one you want is U.S Seal PS-3868.

41z9QL-RxFL._AC_SY400_.jpg

The part in the picture has the graphite part at the top.

When installed, the flat part should sit flat against the impeller and the graphite part should be away from the impeller such that it contacts the ceramic part of the seal in the seal plate when the impeller is threaded onto the shaft.

There's a rubber part of the seal that can be left behind when the old seal is removed. So make sure that the whole old seal is removed.

When installing a new seal, you want to use something that will provide temporary lubricity and that will wash away when water begins to flow.

Seal lube works best but you can use dish soap.

Good catch on that one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.