Mosquito control

With respect to the question on how long the fogged area stays mosquito free I have found that if we fog at 6:00 pm it last most of the night. I have also heard good things about the small butane devices.

I know Jules started this thread saying that Citronella oil lamps didn't work, but it seems to work for me so far. I placed 6 TIKI Torches around my pool patio a month ago. They were just collecting dust in the garage. Not only does it add a warm mood lighting at night time, it spreads out a steady amount of smoke and seems to keep the mosquitos away. I did find that after years of them sitting in the garage, the canisters were leakers. What did I expect for $5.99 a piece?
Now I'm looking for Stainless Steel Tiki torches... and suggestions? I do have some bats fluttering around at night, but not much to speak of so I don't think a bat house will be effective in Ft Lauderdale area. Beside, my wife would freek if she found out that I was actually trying to lure bats around our house. The kids would love it though! :twisted:

Anyone else using Citronella oil?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Sean, we use a number of things like the Off coil and Off heated powerpads that go in the lanterns (same ingredient as Thermacell), but for short stays outside we have found that the Citronella does a great job for us as well. Going to stock up on more torches and the 3 wick Citronella candles in the bucket.

I found some stainless torches online at http://www.gasgrill-store.com/ststtito.html

Kind of pricey though! :shock:

Mark

We have torches too, although we use them more when we are in the RV then at home but we do use them at home sometimes. I think it may be a combination of citronella and just plain smoke. A majority of the cattle and horse farmers around here have smudge piles (peat/brush piles) smoldering in the stock areas all the time to keep the mosquitos at bay and it works. Although citronella smells SOOOO nice, who can beat that with a stick?

We have friends that have bought the expensive copper and stainless tiki's...I wouldn't spend the money...they turn black after one burn!

We got ours at Garden Ridge (I've only seen them in TX but they could be elsewhere). about $8 each, filling them is kind of a pain but the reward is awesome! We have 12 around the pool and patio, I promise I'll get some evening pictures soon!

-Thomas

I just had an arborist come by to check out a few of my trees and administer deep root fertilization as well as spray my locust trees for a bug that was eating the leaves. He suggested a blend of his garlic oil spray on my lawn/trees/shrubs to reduce mosquito's. He said it lasts 5 weeks. The yard smelled like garlic for about 12 hours. I just took one application to see if it makes a difference. Not sure if they have this wherever the OP is from. It might be an idea. Will report back in a week or two as to what the results have been.

I bought a fogger last year. I still use it, but it is a big disappointment. I wouldn't have bought it had I known how poorly they work :(

dan

I have nothing to offer... but I have the same problem... or should I say my wife and my mother do when they use the pool.

I was thinking about just buying a regular old bug zapper and placing it outside. I have place to hang it out of the way and close enough to pool so that it still works but doesnt draw them towards the pool.
Would this work on the aboved mentioned pests? I know it works for flies

Our fogger works quite well and we live where you positively BREATH mosquitos if you don't do something. But, we don't want to use too many chemicals with Koi ponds in the yard and the cost gets up there too.

andysutt said:
I have nothing to offer... but I have the same problem... or should I say my wife and my mother do when they use the pool.

I was thinking about just buying a regular old bug zapper and placing it outside. I have place to hang it out of the way and close enough to pool so that it still works but doesnt draw them towards the pool.
Would this work on the aboved mentioned pests? I know it works for flies

I read somehwere that those things do almost no good at all. Even if that's the case they do do something and they're cheap and quite entertaining; there's nothing like the sound of sizzling bugs to liven up the evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.