What if I can't find a replacement filter cartridge?

ImMikeJones

May 27, 2023
Seattle
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
When you seat the cartridge on the bottom, I assume it creates a rubber seal. Then you install the lid, does it also create a rubber seal there as well? I ask because I am considering an off-brand filter that people seem to like with the exception of replacement cartridges. The company doesn't sell them. They provide dimensions for the filter, but I can't find one that matches the height exactly. I assume if it it's too tall the lid won't close and if it's too short it won't seal?

Also curious how the water flows in a cartridge filter? Looked for a video but couldn't find what path the water follows exactly to pull the water through the filter.

Before anyone tells me to just go buy a name-brand 300sf cartridge filter... my pump also went out so I am looking at a VS pump as well as a filter and those $800-$1200 filters are not in the budget. If anyone has any suggestions for a 10,000 gallon pool in the sub-$500 dollar range I would love to hear them!

If you can't find the exact size replacement cartridge when you need it, buying the off-brand filter is just throwing money away. Look at the Waterway brand of filters.

You may also wish to consider the Black & Decker, Circupool or other brand of basically the same VS pump. Several memners have had good luck with them. And at their price point, if they only last 1/2 as long as the major brands you're still money ahead.

Before anyone tells me to just go buy a name-brand 300sf cartridge filter..
I see two choices on a strict budget.

1) roll the dice on the unknown / startup company filter that may or may not have parts available when you need them, being ok with that if the original carts last 5+ years because things might be better budget wise down the road

2) buy one of a host of established generic filters like Dohneys or such that should have replacement parts widely available.

As much as I love my Sta-Rite filter, it was over $2k last season and I'd never spend that now. I sucked up $1800 at the time solely because nobody had *any* during the shortages. If I needed a new one, I'd be buying a Waterway or sister of it. If the housing broke in 10 years instead of 15+, I'd be ok with that.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Also, have you considered a 2 speed pump? They can be plenty efficient running at around 1700 rpms on low resulting in energy savings over a single speed but much less pricey than a vsp.
Are you currently wired for 220v to your above ground pool?

What is wrong with the sand filter you have now?
I am not sure actually, but it doesn't seem to be filtering bigger particles. What I mean by that, is I see pockets of what looks like black debris all over the bottom of the pool. When I brush them, they cloud up into suspension in the water, but they are definitely very visible to the naked eye in the water. I think sand filters are supposed to get those? I did replace all the sand last spring and it didn't seem to help. On top of that I hate wasting so much water when I have to backwash the filter. I would rather just pull the cartridge every few weeks and rinse it down.

Also, have you considered a 2 speed pump? They can be plenty efficient running at around 1700 rpms on low resulting in energy savings over a single speed but much less pricey than a vsp.
Are you currently wired for 220v to your above ground pool?
Don't have 220v to the pool, so I am stuck with dual-voltage VSP which are significantly more expensive. I have looked at some dual-speed pumps and there are a few that I liked but I found a VSP that I am willing to roll the dice on, only because they make spa pumps and get good reviews.

I see two choices on a strict budget.

1) roll the dice on the unknown / startup company filter that may or may not have parts available when you need them, being ok with that if the original carts last 5+ years because things might be better budget wise down the road

2) buy one of a host of established generic filters like Dohneys or such that should have replacement parts widely available.

As much as I love my Sta-Rite filter, it was over $2k last season and I'd never spend that now. I sucked up $1800 at the time solely because nobody had *any* during the shortages. If I needed a new one, I'd be buying a Waterway or sister of it. If the housing broke in 10 years instead of 15+, I'd be ok with that.

I should have prefaced this with the fact that this pool is about six years old and if I can get another five out of it, I will be happy. It's not something I plan to keep until my kids are grown, nor do I plan on replacing the liner when it fails. At that point the pool goes away and will not be replaced. That being said, I want it to work as well as I can make it work with a budget. I looked at the Dohney 150 sf filter and it looks okay. Some complaints about the filter leaking or whatever. Maybe a waterway?

How long are cartridges supposed to last? I've heard five years or 10+.

I am not sure actually, but it doesn't seem to be filtering bigger particles. What I mean by that, is I see pockets of what looks like black debris all over the bottom of the pool. When I brush them, they cloud up into suspension in the water, but they are definitely very visible to the naked eye in the water. I think sand filters are supposed to get those? I did replace all the sand last spring and it didn't seem to help. On top of that I hate wasting so much water when I have to backwash the filter. I would rather just pull the cartridge every few weeks and rinse it down.
Adding a little pool grade de to the sand filter can help it catch finer particles.
Not wanting to deal with backwash water is a valid concern though.
If you get a large enough cartridge filter you shouldn’t have to clean it very often unless you’re cleaning up a swamp.
You want at least a 200 sq ft cartridge filter

see pockets of what looks like black debris all over the bottom of the pool. When I brush them, they cloud up into suspension in the water, but they are definitely very visible to the naked eye in the water. I think sand filters are supposed to get those?
Sounds like a chemistry problem, not a filter problem. How's any filter going to get stuff up off the floor ? If you brush a cloud which doesn't settle back on the floor, then the skimmer has a chance to suck it through the filter.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if it's algae or environmental debris settling on the floor
How long are cartridges supposed to last? I've heard five years or 10+.
When well cared for with proper chemistry, anywhere 7 to 10 years is reasonable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I say that I think it's a filter problem because when I would vacuum the pool it would suck everything off the floor, put it through the filter and then back out the into the pool. Come out a couple hours later it's forming again. When you brush it up it definitely looks like dirt or something? Like bigger chunks or matter. If I turn off the pump and let it sit there, nothing accumulates in visible pockets like that. I thought for sure it was algae but I was able to pass the OCLT. Also, unscientifically, when the chlorine was at it's max during the SLAM, the same stuff would accumulate in the same quantities. Chlorine level didn't matter (my CYA was about 40 so I adjusted chlorine appropriately). It only appears when the pump is running because it seems like those are dead zones in the circulation maybe?

I say that I think it's a filter problem because when I would vacuum the pool it would suck everything off the floor, put it through the filter and then back out the into the pool
Ok that's a huge piece of the puzzle. 😁

It's deep clean time which doubles as a free inspection.

Have you checked the sand filter to be sure you have enough sand in it?
I did. I replaced the sand trying to figure out this issue last spring (didn't help) and I used the amount specified on the label of the filter. One thing that might be an issue is when I put the new sand it and put the lid on I got distracted. When I came back out to finish I turned it on without putting the collar back on. Not much drama. The top just popped up a few inches and I was able to put it back down. Maybe that created tunneling since it was moved (forcibly) when the pressure built up?

I might try and clean the sand again and reseat everything to see if it helps. But part of why I want to go with a cartridge is to avoid the sand. It's a huge pain!

Another related question is regarding expectations. I know the standard is clear pool, but can a pool with just a skimmer and no floor drain really keep a perfectly clear floor with no vacuuming? I do vacuum the big stuff but I am not going to vacuum it daily and I don't have a robotic vacuum. Are my expectations unrealistic given my setup?

Another related question is regarding expectations. I know the standard is clear pool, but can a pool with just a skimmer and no floor drain really keep a perfectly clear floor with no vacuuming? I do vacuum the big stuff but I am not going to vacuum it daily and I don't have a robotic vacuum. Are my expectations unrealistic given my setup?
If you skim continuously your chances are better for this as you can catch most things before they settle. *Be sure your weir door is in place & functioning properly & that your water level is optimal for the most efficient skimming. (A little more than 1/2 way up the opening)
Along with having your return jet pointed to create a “toilet bowl” effect pushing debris to the skimmer.
If you’re in a heavy debris spot you will likely struggle regardless of your filter choice if not vacuuming/scooping often or your skimming isn’t optimal.
I am ocd & live in the boonies with lots of trees & gravel dust so I got a bot & run it every day on a schedule, right after the pool comes on in the morning so it gets whatever settled after the pump went off. Before the bot I used an intex auto cleaner (pressure side) & ran it every day. It did pretty good I just prefer not to have one of my returns taken up as it affects skimming.
Side note* my bot is a dolphin & I purchased the fine pleated filter for it. This means it acts like a little roving cartridge filter.
I enjoy the fact that it can clean the pool whether the pool pump is running or not. I have a single speed pump and run it on a schedule. Usually between 6 & 8 hours a day. Up to 12 in the peak of the summer so I can adequately chlorinate with my swcg.
Incase of pool pump failure or whatever I can just throw it in to clean up & also help circulate the water.
In the case of “soft” opening- which i am doing right now, I throw him in there & he does his business under the cover. Then I get the pool going because the temps are increasing & I don’t want algae but i leave the cover on until the sky stops falling lol 😂 (catkins, seed pods etc). He’s gonna help me mix up my salt more today 😉

About the skimming all the time thing…
On low 24/7 is the way to accomplish this.
There are 2speed 115v pumps -since you don’t really want to invest a load of coin in this pool.
here’s one -

Reactions: Newdude