More corrosion questions from a skeptical SWG wannabe convert

Nov 18, 2018
El Dorado Hills, CA
Hi all,

After adding solar and keeping our pool warmer this summer, I'm more seriously considering adding a SWG as the chlorine demand is getting more intense. The general opinion here at TFP seems to be in favor of SWGs, and that the risk of corrosion is low.

Many seemingly informed sites note the importance that all equipment is electrically bonded. My biggest corrosion concern would be the metal pool frame, but while I'm not going to jackhammer through the gunite to test its resistance from one end to the other, I would guess the fact that it's a metal grid means it is well-bonded to itself.

I see a bare copper wire coming up through the slab with the plumbing to the equipment, which connects to the pump (we don't have a heater) and brings me to my main questions.

• Should people converting to salt water test continuity from something metal around the pool (the frame around the light is the only option I see) to the metal wire coming up to the equipment?
  • What pool equipment should typically have bonding connections?
  • Do others who install SWGs also install sacrificial anodes?
  • What are the biggest corrosion risks, assuming an outdoor pool and no soft stone?

Lastly, not a corrosion concern exactly, but we have an ipe deck around the pool (outside the ~15" cement coping). If anyone else has hardwood around their salt water pool, it would be great to hear any reports good or bad, or other suggested maintenance.

Thanks, everyone. We put in our pool a couple years ago and TFP has been an amazing resource.

Matt

Matt,

I am not sure where you are getting your "facts".. a pool bonding system has zero to do with a SWCG or corrosion.. It is an electrical safety system that prevents a swimmer from being electrocuted in the event of an electrical system failure...

I have three saltwater pools.. Together they are about 25 years old. I have seen no evidence of any corrosion with any of them.

I would just as soon fill the pools in, as have them not be saltwater pools. Keep in mind the salt level in a saltwater pool is about the same as your tears.. About 1/10th of what you find in the ocean.

If saltwater effected a deck, then there would be no boardwalks... :scratch: :scratch:

No one I know uses an "anode".. Seems to be a "back East" kind of thing. None of my pool have one.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi Jim,

I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed more here. Whether valid or not, it's discussed quite a bit on other sites, a few copied below. Sounds like there is a lot of positive SWG experience within TFP and not much negative.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

That is because most saltwater problems are caused by the pool owner and not the saltwater system.. My personal guess is that 70% of SWCG "failures" are not due to the saltwater system itself, but the lack of knowledge of how a saltwater systems work.. It is not a turn it on a never look back device.. You have to routinely test and adjust like any system that adds chlorine to your pool.. It is not magic and can't perform miracles...

As an example.. If your pool is green, a salt system will never generate enough chlorine to make the water clear.. This is not because the cell is broken it is because the pool owner is an idiot.

If you have a 20K gallon pool and add a cell rated for a 20K gallon pool, it will never work.. Cells are rated when run at 100% and 24/7.. So the pool owner can't run the cell for 8 hours and complain that it is not working.. We always recommend a cell that is rated 2 x the volume of the pool.

The pool owner needs to know how much chlorine the cell can produce, given run time and output percentage.. If you don't run the cell long enough to produce the chlorine that your pool uses each day, that is the pool owner's fault and not a saltwater system problem.

As far as your links go.. if I was trying to sell something other than a saltwater system, I would come up with a bunch of marketing bull that looks real, but only has a very small grain of actual fact and put it on the internet.. It is like anything else, do what it takes to sell your product..

That brings us to TFP... Have you noticed that we sell nothing.. We don't have ads and are not sponsored by any pool companies.. So, what would be our advantage to lie to you? We are a group of pool enthusiasts who are dedicated to presenting our pool experiences and teaching how the average pool owner can take over the maintenance of his own pool. Our feedback is based upon our experiences and not because we are trying to sell you something. I could not care less whether you covert to a Saltwater pool or not.. My "job" is to provide you with my feedback and your job is to believe marketing and salesmen, or us.. It is completely up to you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Sounds like there is a lot of positive SWG experience within TFP and not much negative.
Real live people. With an uncountable amount of usage in real pools. Not just a name in a brochure saying their salt system was a nightmare, so buy XYX brand mineral system instead. More and more convert each day. None of them come back upset. We hear tons of stories about people afraid of rust or stone damage. If they buy non durable materials they will deteriorate from water alone. Salt or no salt. My ladder, diving board supports and all the skimmer screws cost a bit more to be able to handle the water. They dont care if i use 10% the ppm of seawater or not.

I've been here over a year and have yet to see a new post where a SWG did anything wrong. Some equipment failures sure, every company has those in every industry, but never once the SWG rotted their porch with pics. Just stories about a friend of a friend who used to know a guy. And if OP is from Texas, fughettaboutit !!! Texas PBs are terrified of SWGs. Blah blah blah buy these other systems that need replacement parts from my store. Yeah. No.

I like how in the bottom article by orenda tech - they build up a scaling “problem” that can only be solved by using one of their products w/ “proprietary “ mystery ingredients. Pretty much skewed the whole thing for me .
Also all forms of chlorine add salt to the pool - so the level can be just as high in a manually chlorinated pool as one w/ a swg.
Any pool with a wonky csi & or poorly managed ph can have corrosion or scale no matter the chlorination method.
There are lots of discussions on each of the topics in the articles that can be found w/ a quick site search.
All permanent pools should be properly bonded for safety reasons.
Some people choose to use sacrificial anodes to put their mind at ease (there are several discussions on this subject as well) ymmv.
I am in the same boat as Jim w/ my love of swg’s as it is my preferred method of chlorination - I don’t have any anodes either.

Salt pool 17 years old now. Mexican travertine coping. Plants < 3ft from water’s edge. Other than a couple of softer stones which lost some material early on (which was 100% eliminated with a coat of sealer), there has been zero damage to concrete, plants, pool equipment, etc. Also remember all wetted parts of pool equipment are plastic or stainless steel so zero problems with that. Frankly, the website you referenced is trying to sell magic elixers for big money. Salt water generators are their enemies since none of that Crud is needed.1AF61409-CE60-48F2-8402-4502F8CD83AA.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.