Money pit is poop brown

------------------------------------------
Test Results 07-10-2019 @ 08:03 AM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.2
Total Alkalinity: 140
CYA: Less 20 ??
Where would you start? Still going to sweep more rusty Crud out as it settles but need to get chemicals going. On the cya I could see the black dot clearly at bottom of test tube. Should I - gasp - have pool store test it?????

The CYA tests are pretty much the same across test kits, so I trust your results there. You might want to use pool math to determine how much CYA to add using the sock method (see Pool School). You want to get to 30ppm, so that you aren't wasting your LC.

Until you get your real test kit I would keep your FC in the 2-5ppm range, roughly half a gallon per day assuming you get your CYA to 30.

Once you get your real test kit you'll be able to post better FC/CC numbers.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam’s Metal Magic and Jack’s Magic The Pink Stuff, The Blue Stuff, or The Purple Stuff are good ones to use.

So right now I am continuing to vacuum out rust that the revive product deposited on the floor of the pool, I do not have my filter running because after I vacuum and trim things up I let things settle again to vacuum again. I’m vacuuming to waste so I’m continuing to put fresh filtered water in so should I wait until I am done with this vacuuming process Before I add anything including chlorine because theoretically I’m just going to be dumping that back out into my yard?

Teresa, that is probably the best approach. Obviously letting your FC remain low can cause algae to start growing. However, some local ordinances require letting FC drop to 0 before pumping out of the pool. So depending on what your local ordinances are that is probably the best approach. Once you are iron free then you can always bring your CYA up and follow the SLAM process.

When you start adding CL to the water will be the test if your hose filter is keeping the iron from your pool water.

Up the CL slowly and watch if the stains return.

T! I have a "job" for you! I would LOVE for you to stick around and keep an eye out for others who need help with iron and such in their pools! You have first hand experience. There is NOTHING that can top that for someone dealing with it.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would be happy to help anyone out and I would be very happy to have you guys evaluate that revive product. Honest to God that saves my life, I had to sweep to waste a lot I swept it four times today I just kept Letting it fall to the floor again after it was stirred up. Then because my chlorine level was zero and my pH was 7.2 I did the AAA treatment added the Holly polyquat 60
Recirculated for an hour and then added the sequesteriant. Tomorrow evening I will retest and then add some chlorine my CYA has been 20 my pool is 33 k gallons How much chlorine should I start with since it says I need to do is slow climb after everything else I’ve added it to the pool.

Very slowly add back the chlorine. I rushed it one time after AA treatment and sequest. and within 30 minutes of putting CL back in the pool, my stain was back strong. I could actually see it slowly turning brown as the bleach circulated the pool.

I can see from your profile picture that you have had metal stains prior to this incident of the poop colored pool water. How long ago was your profile picture with the clear water taken?

Teresa- For fear of others hearing me, I too used Revive. My pool company said it worked well for them when they open pools that are green. I lost some patience about 1.5 weeks in and ordered a bottle. Worked awesome! It’s very very sticky. But I’ll have to deny if asked about it, lol

Very slowly add back the chlorine. I rushed it one time after AA treatment and sequest. and within 30 minutes of putting CL back in the pool, my stain was back strong. I could actually see it slowly turning brown as the bleach circulated the pool.

I can see from your profile picture that you have had metal stains prior to this incident of the poop colored pool water. How long ago was your profile picture with the clear water taken?
So The week prior to the fourth my pool was doing great we had a lot of people over and did some swimming and the pool store had instructed me to use non-chlorine shock after heavy use and the brown the picture is the result of using the nonchlorine shock. So I would say it is taking me about 10 days to get it back to clear but are used A product called revive to drop all of the unsequestered rust or iron to the bottom of the pool and I vacuum to waste I’ve used three bottles of that product vacuum vacuum vacuum vacuum waited waited waited as it settle back to the floor I will go back in again every couple hours to the point where I couldn’t vacuum without it just storing back that that point I did the acerbic acid treatment added the poly court 60 and the sequestering so this evening when the sun goes down I will add some chlorine after testing right now my CYA has been running over around 20 would be my guess, I’m still waiting for my new test kit to arrive so I thought I would start with half of what cool math instructs me to put in and wait Read test and keep adding small amounts. I did buy liquid stabilizer so I could add that to help bring my CYA to 30.

I have let them know I have use the product revise I was at my wits end there was no way I could filter out that much iron with poly fill I would been feeling for the rest of my life. I did add a filter to my hose for top off and for all of my vacuum to waste. I think that when somebody gets to the point where we were this is a product to offer

Well now you know not to follow the pool store's recommendation! TFP methods are way better, cost less, and you rely on your own, accurate test, rather than some summer work high schooler messing up the testing at the store.

You are on your way to a Trouble Free Pool!

Well now you know not to follow the pool store's recommendation! TFP methods are way better, cost less, and you rely on your own, accurate test, rather than some summer work high schooler messing up the testing at the store.

You are on your way to a Trouble Free Pool!
Yesterday when I went to the pool store to get sequestrant they tried to start telling me how many tablets to put in and how much chlorine or shock to put in and I said stop I am no longer using tablets I am no longer using shocked I will be strictly be using liquid chlorine or bleach only. The look I got from her was astounding

Yesterday when I went to the pool store to get sequestrant they tried to start telling me how many tablets to put in and how much chlorine or shock to put in and I said stop I am no longer using tablets I am no longer using shocked I will be strictly be using liquid chlorine or bleach only. The look I got from her was astounding

LOL! Yep. They see a money train coming to an end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.