Money pit is poop brown

I have no idea how to open my sand filter. And I recently had surgery on my dominant arm which I am not able to use much at this time. So I’m at a loss. Balancing my chemicals and getting my chlorine level appropriate Will do me no good in a pool that is poop colored from rust. I have a filter on my hose so when I am adding water hopefully I am filtering out most of the iron therefore not adding as much to the pool as I am taking out with each Backlash

It will still be beneficial. You need to make sure the water is balanced so you’re not fighting both algae and iron at the same time.

From what I understand my SANd filter is not going to take the iron out of the water. Am I wrong? If I’m right all of the sequestering agents require a low chlorine level when you add them, so no matter what I’m basically screwed. I can sequester the iron shock the pool show the iron and just the back-and-forth. I honestly don’t know what to do at this point other than throw my arms in the air my pool looks like dark T

You CAN do this. We will help you get everything where it should be. Lets hit one thing at a time:

-filter-SO sorry to hear about your poor arm :( Are there any teenagers in the neighborhood or nice adults that could/would help you out?

-Iron-read over the links posted on the 1st page and set up something like they did to get the iron out of the water.

-balancing the water to stop algae-easy to do-test, use Pool Math, dose..........repeat daily.

From what I understand my SANd filter is not going to take the iron out of the water. Am I wrong? If I’m right all of the sequestering agents require a low chlorine level when you add them, so no matter what I’m basically screwed. I can sequester the iron shock the pool show the iron and just the back-and-forth. I honestly don’t know what to do at this point other than throw my arms in the air my pool looks like dark T
You have to approach this one step at a time.
1. Filter out the iron that has fallen out of solution as rust. This is what caused the water to turn brown. Loosely pack the skimmer with polyester fiberfil, when it is dirty swap it out with fresh fiberfil, and rinse out the dirty fiberfil so it may be used again. It may take a couple of days for it to filter out this way. During this time add enough liquid chlorine to stay at your daily target levels.
2. Once the rust is filtered out you can add sequestrant if there is no visible algae. The only time you need to shock the pool is when there is visible algae. Keep the chlorine at daily target levels.
3. Add sequestrant every two weeks and whenever you top off water in the pool.

The reason I don't recommend using something that drops the rust to the bottom of the pool to be vacuumed out is that you have to vacuum to waste, and if you loose a lot of water in the process you have to add fresh water to the pool. If the fresh water also has a high iron content adding chlorine can cause it to go brown again. Honestly having the rust drop out of solution so it can be filtered out is better in the long run, even though it takes more time to clear. Once the rust is filtered out the iron content of the water should be much lower and your risk of turning brown is much lower until you add significant amounts of unsequestered fresh water.

Just stopping in to lend encouragement. While I didn't have an iron problem, I did have pool issues. The fine folks at this site got my pool back to sparkling clean. And better yet, the maintenance is a breeze! So listen to the advice, don't fight it, and keep your chin up.

The first thing I would do is give your pool a more appropriate name. The Money Pit is the pool store, not your pool!

Reactions: Glofton
Pleatoplus 2100

You mean

I don't think that will capture insoluble iron and manganese particles. Specs say the PPS2100 will capture down to 5 microns. I think you need filtering down to 3 microns to capture iron.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pleatcoplus 2100
You mean

I don't think that will capture insoluble iron and manganese particles. Specs say the PPS2100 will capture down to 5 microns. I think you need filtering down to 3 microns to capture iron.
I had to use my hose so I just connected the filter and when I turned it upside down I had a significant amount of rust water come out of it so it may not capture it all but it’s capturing some

So yesterday I added 16 gallons of chlorine, then sprayed the surface of my pool with a product called revive, each bottle said it would cover 22K gallons and my pool is 33K gallons and I knew it was very heavy in the rust And the product states you cannot over treat it. Of course my anxiety was very high because I have added so many products to try to clear it that if this did not work I was ready to call it a day. You’re supposed to wait 24 to 48 hours and then vacuum to waste. As stated above I am filtering all further water that enters my pool outside of the rain therefore putting back with very little iron. My pool is very much overfilled because I know I’m going to have to vacuum to waste. This morning I was pleasantly surprised to see extremely clear water with the bottom of the pool completely covered in the rust so I’m going to vacuum to waste today until I reach a point where my water must be filled before I can continue. I’m going to have the hose running the entire time I am doing the vacuuming but I will be taking out water faster then I’ll be putting it in. I ordered the test kit you recommended however it will not be here until the 19th. Once I get this vacuumed how much chlorine should I Add, I have a test kit that goes up to five so should I just focus on keeping it there for now. I plan to use your processes once I get all this rust out.

I am almost scared to tell you how much chlorine to add just in case it is the wrong amount and it goes wrong. Use your test kit and see how much FC you have. IF you think it is higher than the 5 your test kit can test then test your tap water to see if it has any FC in it (some do). Mix half pool water and half tap water. Test this taking in account if your tap water has any FC. Double the number you get from this test. Use Pool Math (do you have the app?) to tell you how much FC to add using your last CYA testing amount.

Good job ordering the good test kit. Things will be even easier when you are able to really do the tests without limits on how high they can go!

Kim:kim:

These pictures are are revive product in pool24 hrs. Vacuum to waste about 99% out. Have poly full in skimmer and auto vac going with filter for rest. What was churned up is pale greenish. Like I said before I’ve ordered my kit but it won’t be here till the 19th so I checked my chlorine with the kit I have and it’s about 2 FC. I’m going to let this filter a while today and then I’m going to retest everything and perhaps put some liquid chlorine in I purchased 20 gallons today.

Attachments

• 58E1B00A-4E86-4756-AD87-DB537FAE3767.jpeg
    58E1B00A-4E86-4756-AD87-DB537FAE3767.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 86
  • D57BAAB1-184E-448D-BF3B-C7ECA3803A66.jpeg
    D57BAAB1-184E-448D-BF3B-C7ECA3803A66.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 87
After refilling with filtered water, filtering the pool with my sand filter and running my AutoVac I back washed a tremendous amount of rusty water out again, then applied a second treatment as the bottle said very bad pools may require a second treatment so I’ll see what it looks like here shortly

So those two did it’s job again and I’m getting ready to go and sweep it this may be the last time I have to do this and I’m hoping that I don’t have to use as sequestering agent at all, if I do which one would you suggest is the best one to use at this point I have spent so much money on the pool that price is no object.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.