Modern Intex Rectangular Pool Build DIY

So awhile ago I started researching pool builds after realizing I didn’t want to spend 25k on an in ground pool, and the round and oval above ground pools don’t match the style of my modern/minimalist house. So after a lot of research I decided to go for my build for an Intex pool that is encased in wood to look a little more sleek and modern. This is what it looks like now.. I still want to do a lot more but this is good progress for me! Build pics will follow

05B22C46-F610-4F81-8C89-376B35C78975.jpeg

I started out by removing all of the grass. Here in south Florida we have st Augustine grass which is notorious for being able to grow through the pool liners if not properly dealt with. I marked out my area with spray punt and I pulled it all out pretty much by hand, took a couple evenings to get it all cleaned out.
6B562DA5-0688-4889-8075-D8D9778B3AF6.jpeg

If I could do it all again, I would have built a 2x4 wood frame level on the ground, then screeded the sand on the frame rails to create a level surface. Instead I bought about 40 bags of sand locally and leveled it all with a 10ft 2x4 with a 6 foot level on top, and a hand tamper. I checked the level over and over again, adding more sand to the low spots and screeding it out. This took another 2 evenings or so. After the leveling I added some 1” foam insulation to make sure the bottom of the pool feels nice, and also to help with any grass that might try to grow in the future. I also thought this would help distribute the water weight better, and it was worth doing for me! The bottom of the pool is perfectly smooth and feels good on the feet
E85A6E4A-190D-4F50-AC2F-144600531323.jpeg

I literally put the pool up according to the manual it came with. I didn’t do anything different except for spraying a lot of ACF50 on the corner pieces to help with corrosion, since I seem to read it happens there first. At this point is started pouring rain, so I jumped in the pool and started kicking out the wrinkles. I was able to do this all
By myself at this point 93209967-3123-402A-B489-A29637208680.jpeg

41BEF34E-C854-4C38-BBB8-35C6AFA0A9A2.jpeg
here’s the basic idea of how I build the deck. I wasn’t very concerned with weight on it because the posts only need to support the weight of the wood.. it would not be for standing or sitting on. So I basically built it to the same spec as a fence would need to be built out here by code.

DEE12922-9C85-41AE-AB1C-ACFFCCE4983D.jpeg
it took me much longer than it should’ve to frame this out but I’m a very amateur carpenter honestly. I ran into a lot of hiccups but all I cared about was that everything was level And plumb.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
B811E8D5-1F15-46B6-8B64-086B22E1B408.jpeg
decking starting to take shape! Also added the Intex brand magnetic light to the pool.
E9AFE307-AEF9-4AC9-AED3-F5044DB28312.jpeg
added the inner fascia to really give it the finished look. At this time all I really need to do is build the back wall for the pool, which I haven’t done yet. But it’ll be a similar look to everything else on the pool.

That’s basically it for now. The pool ladder is from VidaXL bought from eBay. Most of the weight is on the bottom legs of the ladder, those supports get screwed into the 4x4 supports of the pool on this side. The top was secured using the mounts that came with the ladder and a 6”
3/8s self tapper screw that went through the ladder into the 4x4s below.. just for good measure
97326F55-3F3F-4E53-ADF7-47CE257A7BE9.jpeg

Great thread. Thanks for these, you’ve already spurred me into thinking about what I can next year!
Thanks! There’s really not a lot of info out there on how to make a pool this style so I wanted to post it somewhere in hopes someone was looking for it. I saw a lot of pools this style in other countries but not in the states!

Thanks! There’s really not a lot of info out there on how to make a pool this style so I wanted to post it somewhere in hopes someone was looking for it. I saw a lot of pools this style in other countries but not in the states!
I’m in the uk and pools just generally aren’t a big thing. I’ve just built a new modern house so treated ourselves to an AGP in August. Only had time to dig out the base to get the tail end of the summer. You’ve given me some good ideas for next year.

C594E603-8386-4B77-8287-68F85C092A2A.jpeg

I’m in the uk and pools just generally aren’t a big thing. I’ve just built a new modern house so treated ourselves to an AGP in August. Only had time to dig out the base to get the tail end of the summer. You’ve given me some good ideas for next year.

View attachment 163305
Looks great! Love the wood accent on the house. A pool similar to this would definitely match the style. The upside for us too was that I have a toddler and the high pool is pretty much impossible for him to get up on. When the pool isn’t in use I built a wood section that I hang on the ladder that hides the rungs so that he can’t go up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.