Allen, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi - I'm planning a replacement for a a Jandy single speed stealth 2.5, for power savings and quiet. The setup currently have an aqualink rs ps pda based panel. I'm considering upgrading that to the iq-20, but for now - want to get the benefits of the longer pool run time at the lower pressure. (In my last home - this was saving me ~ $60 / month in electricity, and I will much appreciate the quiet benefit, as the current pump is right next to the house.)

I've used an intelliflow for 5 years and it worked flawlessly.

In looking between the Jandy 2.7 VS, and the Intelliflo Vs 3hp, the big unknown is cabling between the intelliflo to the panel - it looks like this is possible, (as it's in the programming of the PDA), and it's in there as a category in the RS panel instructions.

Anyone have any strong opinions in favor of the Jandy pump b/c of the easier aqualink integration or cabling?
Is this the right cable for the intelliflo (pentair part number 350122)?
Is there a programming reference for the anywhere which I can read about the inteilliflow intergrations?
Are there other panel / VS pump options that I should consider?

The major downer with the Jandy is not doing it myself, as I don't think I can get the parts.

Appreciate your looking..

-Adrian

Using the same brand automation does make control easier but there are so many experts on here that favor Pentair over Jandy I'd have a hard time going Jandy. I think you can get the required functions with cross-brands it's just a little easier with same brand. Are you paying an authorized rep or doing it yourself? Jandy cuts your warranty to zero if you DIY. I'll ask a couple people more expert than me to respond @Jimrahbe @ajw22.

Chris

Reactions: peril
I would prefer the IntelliFlo pump but I think neither Pentair or Jandy will help you with any problems getting the Aqualink to control it. If you get the IntelliFlo get the simple 011018 or 011028 pump. Not the VF, or SRS, or other fancy ones.

Some of us are going the other way and replacing our Aqualink with IntelliCenter. My project for this season.

Adrian,

The IntelliFlo comes with the proper cable. I am normally against using different brands of equipment, but the IntelliFlo is an exception as it can be controlled by your Jandy Automation.

There are several u-tube videos on setting up the Aqualink and the IntelliFlo pump.

I believe that the IntelliFlo is the gold standard of pool pumps.. You often see other brands of automation using the IntelliFlo, but rarely see Pentair automation using other brands of pumps.

The only problems I have heard of is when trying to control the VSF pump. I would go with the standard IntelliFlo VS.. Either the older 011018 or the newer 011028.. Both are excellent pumps. I never recommend the VF version of the IntelliFlo.

No matter what... NEVER buy an IntelliFlo that has the +SVRS option. This safety feature is just no longer needed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks guys - I'll start doing my planning for the wiring for the 011028 - it takes a bit to tear these projects into the right bit and pieces. I enjoy having a bit of a side project, and have always been handy with plumbing and electrical (esp with the support of the folks here in troubleshooting - heck - that's how I got my original VS installed.

Appreciate all of your responses @Jimrahbe @ajw22 @setsailsoon .

I am tackling pump and filter first, and then will go after the panel.

--Adrian

Reactions: setsailsoon
Good luck Adrian! And please do keep us posted on the project. Sounds like you're gonna have a real nice addition!

Chris

I just changed out my Hayward single speed with a Jandy VSP to work with my new iAqualink and AquaPure. I have only used for a couple of days but what a world of difference. Should have done a long time ago.

No experience with IntelliFlo but have only heard rave reviews.

All done - ended up with a Hayward Progrid DE6020, and the Intellflow VS 11028 - all worked pretty much out of the box. The hardest part was chiseling off an old 90 and ended up cracking after the intellflow hit prime. (It was just like the Curly plumbing in the 3 stooges episode from the 90 on the return.)

I was a bit concerned about the cracked 90 as it was a flush stub joint coming out of a return jandy valve.

Ended up thinking it thru and cut the 90 in half with a sawzaw- , cut it so the only part of the 90 left was the bit around the stub going into the jandy, groved the ring with a hacksaw blade and chiseled it right off - worked like a charm, and lubed it up real good with glue - ended up gettting rid of 2 other 90s because of it - so feels like a win.

These projects are always fun - I'll post some after pix tommorow.

Last edited:
Before and after - the last 90 going into the return after the nature 2 was the one that busted - was happy to take it out.

After discovering it here here - my family has always been a big fan of the borax for water feel and sparkle, and never saw one of the nature 2 things before - one less thing in the return flow.

Pump running @ 70db @ 1450 @ 4 feet.

-Adrian

Attachments

• orig 1.jpg
    orig 1.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 14
  • orig 2.jpg
    orig 2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 13
  • orig 3.jpg
    orig 3.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 13
  • now 1.jpg
    now 1.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 15
  • now 2.jpg
    now 2.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 15
  • now 3.jpg
    now 3.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi @peril, I have a very similar setup as what you started with: SHPM2.5 with Aqualink PS PDA. I'm also looking to go the variable speed route. Although I've never done any serious plumbing work, I was thinking of giving this upgrade a DIY try. A few questions if you can help a fellow TFPer out:

1) Is the inlet port for the Intelliflo the same height as the Jandy pump's inlet?
2) Like you, I have a very small section of PVC available coming out of the actuator on the pump inlet side. Is a trick or coupling that will help me out there, without trying to redo the actuator side of plumbing?
3) Were you able to use the Intellifo with Aqualink PS PDA or did you have to upgrade to IQ-2O RS?

I'll post some pictures of my setup as well.

Thanks.

I would prefer the IntelliFlo pump but I think neither Pentair or Jandy will help you with any problems getting the Aqualink to control it. If you get the IntelliFlo get the simple 011018 or 011028 pump. Not the VF, or SRS, or other fancy ones.

Some of us are going the other way and replacing our Aqualink with IntelliCenter. My project for this season.
"Some of us are going the other way and replacing our Aqualink with IntelliCenter" Uh oh, I'm gonna have Jandy as that's what my pool builder uses. I originally wanted the intelliflo vs but assumed it was best to stay Jandy pump, filer, salt for automation purposes. You got me worried and I don't even have the pool done yet!

) Were you able to use the Intellifo with Aqualink PS PDA or did you have to upgrade to IQ-2O RS?
I recently installed a Pentair VSF pump and it connected to my Jandy PDA system (2012 model time frame) using the RS-485 cable supplied with the Pentair pump. It is only 2 wires and connects to the red comm port on the Jandy board. I did not upgrade to the iQ20. There are clear instructions on what the 2 wires connect to as the comm port has 4 slots.

I recently installed a Pentair VSF pump and it connected to my Jandy PDA system (2012 model time frame) using the RS-485 cable supplied with the Pentair pump. It is only 2 wires and connects to the red comm port on the Jandy board. I did not upgrade to the iQ20. There are clear instructions on what the 2 wires connect to as the comm port has 4 slots.

Thanks @HermanTX!

Did you have to do into the PDA to change any settings to detect the pump and were you able to control the different VS settings from the PDA?

Thanks @HermanTX!

Did you have to do into the PDA to change any settings to detect the pump and were you able to control the different VS settings from the PDA?
So there is a process to select VSP and then set up various speeds for each type of cycle. I have one called "pool" which is my baseline program. Then I have other speeds for Spa, Cleaner, Freeze Protection, Hi Skimmer, Lo Skimmer, etc. You then can program each of those and the AquaLink will adjust the speed on the pump to match the program, then at end of program it will go back to the baseline i.e. my pool program. I have some handwritten notes on how. I have been meaning to clean them up so I will do that and post for you.

One important point - the AquaLink can only select the variable SPEED mode or the variable FLOW mode (I have the VSF pump) so I chose to run everything as VS. On the PDA it will show you the speed it is currently running and the energy (watts) being used. However the energy is based on an algorithm so I am not confident that value is accurate but still much better efficiency then running a single speed pump.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: adhanani
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.