Missing Stabilizer Second time stabilizer has gone to zero..

Tested everything again and cya actually went up to 80, likely from evaporation as my salt also went up and water level is down. CL has been very stable and I have not had to add much. I went ahead and turned the salt cell back on and I'm going to run it for 5 hrs at 100%. This should increase my CL by at least 1ppm. If it doesn't I will keep it off and this will confirm there is something wrong. I have a warranty claim in and I am trying to gather evidence something is wrong for when they try to tell me there is nothing wrong

5 hrs later I checked the FC from the return and it was exactly the same as before. It should have gone up at least one ppm. It can generate 1ppm every 4.5hrs. The amount from the return should have been more concentrated as well. There is definitely something wrong with this thing and hopefully I can get them to fix it or I will have to get a circupool rj45. The funny thing is I can see it producing in the viewing window but nothing comes out?

Years ago I was noticing that my CYA was lost each year. I dont regularly measure it so didnt really know when it happened

My neighbor used pucks and his CYA was in the hundreds but maybe not as high as it should have been considering he used pucks for years.

We just built our new pool and this is my first season with it. i got CYA up to about 50 and towards the end of the summer it was close to 10-20.

I found a post somewhere on these forums referencing that very high temps can reduce CYA on the order of about 10ppm/month during the hottest times of the year. So in the southern US this could be an issue.

So it is possible that CYA is broken down slowly in pools exposed to sunlight. Some report rates of around 10 ppm CYA per month which is higher than the roughly 2-3 ppm CYA per month seen in pools not exposed to sunlight (or the 5 ppm CYA per month seen in hot spas) which would be the degradation rate from chlorine oxidation of CYA.

Years ago I was noticing that my CYA was lost each year. I dont regularly measure it so didnt really know when it happened

My neighbor used pucks and his CYA was in the hundreds but maybe not as high as it should have been considering he used pucks for years.

We just built our new pool and this is my first season with it. i got CYA up to about 50 and towards the end of the summer it was close to 10-20.

I found a post somewhere on these forums referencing that very high temps can reduce CYA on the order of about 10ppm/month during the hottest times of the year. So in the southern US this could be an issue.

I considered that but my losses where extremely high, you went from 50 to 20 over 3 months. I lost over 140ppm in that timeframe. I would have to go back and look to be sure on the exact number.

Jandy forwarded my warranty claim to a local warranty repair location and they refused to even come out and look at it. I called them back and they gave me the number to 3 other places in my area to possibly get someone to come look at it and probably have no clue or say its "fine" and charge me for the visit. The Jandy rep also tried to tell me I had a leak that's why it was drooping CYA, but when I said nothing else was dropping with it like CH or salt he said that CH would say with the pool and only the CYA would leave? I also haven't had to fill my pool because of rain and the CH from rain would be low so the CH would indeed drop as well. I also had to explain that taking a sample directly from the return yielded the same CL level as the rest of the pool indicating that it is not generating anymore chlorine and all my issues stopped once I turned the unit off.

I just went ahead a ordered a RJ-45 Plus. I am tired of dealing with this and just want to enjoy my pool and not constantly worry if its making chlorine. The Truclear only outputs .9lbs a day which is not enough to keep up at a FC of 5ppm epically during the summer and heavy use. I will never use Jandy for chlorination or automation again as I have had nothing but problems with their units and their warranty is garbage. Don't even get my started on Aqualink and iAqualink...

Anyone want to buy a truclear with 2 cells, like new?

I will report back after getting the RJ-45 in and some use.

Update, I checked the chemistry today and CYA is still holding, actually went up to 80 from some water loss due to evaporation.

I'm very confident that the Jandy truclear was the issue. I got the circupool rj45+ going today so we will see how it goes.

If anyone wants a 1 1/2 year old truclear with 2 cells I got um for sale...

I'm not getting the CYA going up part from evaporation. You'd have to evaporate x amount of water to see that difference and that would also mean the water isn't being replaced so are you saying your water level is below the skimmer and how's the pool being skimmed and filtered. If you added back water then the same dilution reappears.

I'm not getting the CYA going up part from evaporation. You'd have to evaporate x amount of water to see that difference and that would also mean the water isn't being replaced so are you saying your water level is below the skimmer and how's the pool being skimmed and filtered. If you added back water then the same dilution reappears.
I did put water back in but it has gone down again, probably time to add some back again. The water is not below the skimmer. The CYA tests are not exact, it could have gone up some but I read it on the test as 80 vice 70 as you go by the closest line. I also had my salt and ch go up as the water in my pool is low.

3" of water loss on my pool is a loss of about 3000gal. If I'm at 20k gal and cya of 70 that gives me a cya of 3.5 per 1000gal. If I lose 3k gal that 3.5 per gal still remains so that would be an increase of 10.5ppm, seems right to me.

In winter even in Florida there's no reason to be higher then 50 CYA this time of the year so I wouldn't be adding back to 80 just yet. Between the sun angle and temps not high enough for the 80 CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I experience similar Cya losses to yours. Maybe not quite as bad but close. This happens pretty much just in the summer. Between the high pool temp, the rains it just happens. I have lost 30ppm in a month easily.

So I experience similar Cya losses to yours. Maybe not quite as bad but close. This happens pretty much just in the summer. Between the high pool temp, the rains it just happens. I have lost 30ppm in a month easily.
This was ruled out because ONLY CYA dropped, if it was from water loss/rain CH and salt would also change with it. I had a previous pool in south FL at another home and did not see losses (outside of normal) with that pool, which was also not caged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.