Sep 10, 2019
Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all, I have been running my IC60 at about 40% for 12hrs per day and now that temps are heating up here in TX, I will start running my pool cooler at night so I will need to back the % off more.

Is there a recommended min % (like is it ok to run at 10-15% for 12hrs vs 30-40% for 8) before I start running my pool less during the day to keep FC low enough?

In most cases the % is used to generate the amount of FC your pool needs. When I run my Glacer Chiller I have to turn my % up because I only run my pump for 12 hours instead of 24 hrs when not running the chiller. My 25k gallon pool with auto cover the IC60 is set to 30%. This generates 2.9 FC in 24 hrs. I need the IC60 set to 60% when the chiller season begins (the water gets too cold if I run for more than 12 hours). We like 85 degree water with 100 degree air temps.

Reactions: markayash and Oly
(the water gets too cold if I run for more than 12 hours)
I was wondering why you ran the pump less when using the chiller. Then I saw your location. The luxury of low humidity and air temps that actually drop overnight! I haven’t had to turn my chiller on just yet, as water temp is still in the upper 70s, but when I do, I increase my pump run time to 17 hours and drop SWCG to 35% - or somewhere in that proximity. Once I get it dialed in, I don’t have to adjust it until fall.

In most cases the % is used to generate the amount of FC your pool needs. When I run my Glacer Chiller I have to turn my % up because I only run my pump for 12 hours instead of 24 hrs when not running the chiller. My 25k gallon pool with auto cover the IC60 is set to 30%. This generates 2.9 FC in 24 hrs. I need the IC60 set to 60% when the chiller season begins (the water gets too cold if I run for more than 12 hours). We like 85 degree water with 100 degree air temps.
Hmm...not sure why I never did this! I ran 12hrs during the day and then went to 24 hrs w chiller. Makes sense to keep SWG % the same and not run pump during the day, but guess i like the idea of thr SWG running to fight the UV burn off. Ultimately though as long as Im making enough FC, it shouldnt matter when.

and not run pump during the day,
I wouldn’t want to swim in the pool unless the pump was running. Maybe it would be ok, but in the Texas heat, I want my water circulating. I also keep the chiller running during the day to help fight off the rise in temp. Just running overnight doesn’t cut it for me, but I also like to keep the water in the upper 70s to low 80s.

I wouldn’t want to swim in the pool unless the pump was running. Maybe it would be ok, but in the Texas heat, I want my water circulating. I also keep the chiller running during the day to help fight off the rise in temp. Just running overnight doesn’t cut it for me, but I also like to keep the water in the upper 70s to low 80s.
Yea thats pretty chilly 🤣. I run overnight and it gets down to 82-83 and only up to 87ish during the day here in Houston.

I, too, run the chiller during the day. It’s too loud to run it at night, I have the GPC-215 (45k gal). With the summertime overnight lows here in Las Vegas, the water will only drop temp wise maybe 5 degrees, if that, with the cover closed. Closing the cover does limit the evaporation. I use the chiller to limit the rise in the water temp during the heat of the day, we like it around 85 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.