Mineral Oil for Robot Pump - is Tocopherol (Vitamin E) additive OK?

robbegginer

May 17, 2017
Huntington, NY
Need to replace the oil in an Aquabot pump, and am choosing Mineral Oil over much more expensive Compressor Oil, FR3 or other special purpose oils.

Having said that, there is a choice of 100% Mineral Oil which will make me wait a week, or food grade laxative 99% Mineral Oil with 1% Vitamin E as a stabilizer, which is around the corner.

So the question is, will the addition of Tocopherol (Vitamin E) to the mineral oil affect the non-conductive nature, or otherwise be bad for the pump?

Another point on the motor plug & thermal expansion:

It seems the replacement pump I just bought from a pool store has been leaking a tiny bit of oil from the fill plug on the pump motor. Oils like this have a fair amount of thermal expansion so the plug might be designed to leak some, and it's been the hottest part of the Summer. I'm wondering if it would be better to plug it with hot glue, rather than allow leakage, but leaving a small air bubble in the motor after refill to allow for oil expansion.

Here are prior threads about the Aquabot motor oil...

This says the motor uses 30 weight automotive oil - Aquabot Drive Motor Repair and Oil

Also Drive Motor Oil Leaked out

Here are prior threads about the Aquabot motor oil...

This says the motor uses 30 weight automotive oil - Aquabot Drive Motor Repair and Oil

Also Drive Motor Oil Leaked out
Thanks, I had read those prior threads. There are a few different opinions on what to use for oil. Motor oil seems like the worst choice for a pool, given the leaking.

There was another thread on this site where someone suggested just hot glue to close the pump. Seems like a better approach to me, but then I thought that the leaking might be an accomodation of "thermal expansion" and/or "planned obsolescence".

I'm going to try the easy "food safe" mineral oil despite the Vitamin E. I'll leave a tiny air bubble, and make a hot glue plug. We shall see ...

Thanks, I had read those prior threads. There are a few different opinions on what to use for oil. Motor oil seems like the worst choice for a pool, given the leaking.

There was another thread on this site where someone suggested just hot glue to close the pump. Seems like a better approach to me, but then I thought that the leaking might be an accomodation of "thermal expansion" and/or "planned obsolescence".

I'm going to try the easy "food safe" mineral oil despite the Vitamin E. I'll leave a tiny air bubble, and make a hot glue plug. We shall see ...
a year later, i am wondering if food safe mineral oil did the trick?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.