Aquabot turbo classic - pump motor oil

ooo

Aug 12, 2019
NJ
Hey all,

The other day I threw my aquabot turbo classic (unsure of year, 2011-current is what is on their part breakdown) and I noticed it was bubbling up some oil. It didn't look like motor oil, more like a mineral oil. Anyway, I pulled the pump motor out and noticed theres a top plug missing and I cannot find any information around the part number or what type of oil to replace it with.

A bit of background here - I left the bot on the side of the pool during a heatwave (110+ deg temps for a few days) so I'm guessing that lead to the pump motor overheating and popping the bung. The pump itself spins fine, definitely not seized up. I should just need to replace the oil and plug and be good to go. If I'm looking at spending $200 for a new pump I'm just going to invest in a new bot.

Any help here or links would be greatly appreciated - I cannot find anything on google around this, just replacement pump parts.

Pump part #: A6005
Aquabot Turbo Classic ~2011

Attachments

ooo

Aug 12, 2019
NJ
(For anyone in the future who might be in a similar situation)

After reaching out to a few servicing places - it looks like once that plug is out the motor is done and needs to be replaced.

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
What is the plug intended to do?

A motor is (at it's basics) just windings and magnets. Why make a motor that needs a plug to seal in lubrication in the first place? No one is going to re-lube it.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Motors like this that go under water are sometimes filled with a dielectric mineral oil that helps transfer heat from the motor to the water.

Many submersible pumps are also filled with oil.

The oil can be replaced but it's usually a life of motor product.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
It has to be the correct oil. It has to be non-conductive.

The plug makes some sense because you might need to service the motor, but it should be more secure so that it doesn't just pop out.