Milky Way Help

PaPaJ

Jul 21, 2019
VA
So pool was crazy low ph. Added 4 lbs of balance pack from pool store. Pool is now a milk color with no clearing in sight after 2 hours. Please help

Attachments

• 39651CB2-4E5B-490A-9105-C00048251AB3.jpeg
    39651CB2-4E5B-490A-9105-C00048251AB3.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to TFP! Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. How do you test your water? You need a good Test Kits Compared. Stop buying stuff from the pool store. You only need Bleach,Muratic Acid and CYA. For now only add 4ppm of plain unscented bleach each day. You can download the PoolMath app to know how much to add of each. You can also watch TFP on Youtube.

Hi, papaj. Follow what flying tivoli recommends. My pool once looked like yours and following the recommendations here made it clear and beautiful.

Thanks can I get some specific help here clear the milky water? I have a roughly 15k pool. Still milky after 5 hours of filtering. Don’t have clue how to measure 4 ppm. Went to 5 sites and never get a straight answer. I have had 2 pools for over 10 years so just need a straight answer. I’ll look into buying system after I can get water clear. Thanks PJ

Ok. here's a straight answer (my apologies in advance.....you won't like it)........you have not provided NEARLY enough information to even stab a guess at what is wrong with your pool.

TFP relies on precise and accurate testing to help determine the cause of pool water problems. We always start off by asking you to post test results like this....

FC
CC
CH
TA
CYA

Can you provide those test results and we can get started.

I don't know why dry acid would make your pool cloudy. Maybe one of the experts can weigh in.

Do you do your own testing of your water? Can you say what your FC, CC, TA, CH, pH, and CYA are now?

You can use the web PoolMath or PoolMath app to help you figure out how much chlorine you need to add based on whether you get pool chlorine or regular bleach (make sure it has no additives like scents or splashless).

I believe Balance Pak is baking soda, can you confirm that from the packaging?

If so, your TA and pH were most likely all ready high and adding a slug of baking soda raised them higher and the CH in the pool created the cloudy water. It should clear up soon. You need to be able to test all your parameters before adding chemicals.

Thanks can I get some specific help here clear the milky water?
That is what we like around here, SPECIFICS, and the only way to do it is by testing your water properly as i suggested before. Every newbee to the forum likes a quick and easy fix for their problem and it never happens, so dont feel bad. After reading ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry you will start to understand our methods. Just remember that our methods do not mix well with poolstore advice, so dont mix and match. Dont get discourage and push through.

Ok. here's a straight answer (my apologies in advance.....you won't like it)........you have not provided NEARLY enough information to even stab a guess at what is wrong with your pool.

TFP relies on precise and accurate testing to help determine the cause of pool water problems. We always start off by asking you to post test results like this....

FC
CC
CH
TA
CYA

Can you provide those test results and we can get started.

Sorry found myself in a stressful situation and was looking for some immediate help. Maybe this was wrong forum. I don’t have test kit that provides those exact details and don’t have an easy method or place to get one immediately. I did use test strips that have used for years. Here are my approximate readings per test strip and my readings:

FC 2/4 (scale from test strips)
PH 7.0
TA 60
TH 200
CYA 70

All are close to median ranges from what I can tell. Pool this morning is still very milky after 14 hours of filtration. Can’t come close to seeing bottom even in shallow end.

History. Cam home last week to pump off and a massive algae bloom. Deep green color. Tried algaecide Banish brand and then tried to floc. After 36 hours nothing. Still pure algae. Used HTT algaecide and it had an immediate effect pool foamed over and water turned a cloudy robin egg blue. Testing seemed to indicate a 0 PH so added 3-4 lbs of a balance pack recommended at pool store I’ve used for years. Water turned a milk color immediately where I sit this morning.

How this detail can lead to a recommendation for next steps to clear pool.

PJ

Oh leaving on Friday for 8 days away.....

That additional information changes my comment above.
When you get a test kit you need to follow the SLAM Process. The algaecides and other potions along with unknown water chemistry has created your issue.

Reactions: Donldson

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe Balance Pak is baking soda, can you confirm that from the packaging?

If so, your TA and pH were most likely all ready high and adding a slug of baking soda raised them higher and the CH in the pool created the cloudy water. It should clear up soon. You need to be able to test all your parameters before adding chemicals.
Yes it was sodium carbonate. Just ran home from lunch as no appreciable change still white in appearance. PJ

Thanks it is really a hot mess right now any suggestions? I’ve ordered the test kit and can go all in on the process once I receive and I return from vacation on August 5th. Anything I can do now to help clear the water and ward off another algae bloom while I’m gone? PJ

I think you are in an algae bloom right now. So do what you normally do when you go on vacation and when you get back, see how things are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.