Methods for unclogging pump. Troubleshooting

Feb 19, 2017
Tampa
Hello

Our pump recently stopped working a month ago. When it is turned on no water would flow through the plumbing to the filter. Now if we turn in on for a few second you can hear the motor but no water and the switch in the breaker box flips. Pool is now completely green. Not sure how best to troubleshoot since the local pool companies are expensive. the main drain in our pool is about 8 feet below water. I've read a little about the hydro flush which is placed on the end of a hose? Any one have experience or advice on these? Next option might be having a pool company flush it. Just not sure what is a reasonable price. Once the clog, if that's the issue, is removed, I think I can balance the pool again from what I have read on TFP.

Thanks, Tom

Do you have water in your pump basket?

My first thought is you have a suction side air leak that is preventing the pump from priming with water. Instead it sucks in air. The pump basket lid muct have a tight seal to not suck in air.

I would not think your problem is clogged drains, but with an inability to prime.

We need to know what type of switch is in the breaker box? Is it a GFCI breaker? How old? Cheapest thing may be to start with replacing the breaker. They often wear out and get overly sensitive.

You may have damaged the pump motor from extended running when dry.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.