Metal Treatment with AA and Metal Magic

gdinda

Jul 2, 2017
Plainville,Ct
I am looking to do the Metal Treatment today on stains(iron) that are not too bad....Yet! I am a little confused. Everything I have been reading for a month has me lowering the ph to under 7.2. Metal Magic says 7.5 or higher and and chlorine to under 3 and the best at 1. I will get it under 3 but when I get algae I get pink algae and I am a bit worried about that with not being able to shock for a week or two. So I figured before I add AA I will get the ph to 7.5, add the AA and wait until stains lift and add the MM in a half hour to one hour. Run for 48 hours and I will clean the cartridge every 24 hours. for a good number of days until it looks normal. Slowly bring up chlorine to a more comfortable level for a week or two so that I am not in the minimum area. My CYA has to be around 35-40 as I haven't tested in the past couple of weeks but I have a good idea its no higher. It doesn't matter because I have to drop chlorine anyway. Does this sound correct?

A couple of questions:
1. Should I use polyquat 60 for a safeguard?
2. Am I right in thinking that this won't get rid of all of the iron from the water and thus not get rid of the problem? It is very light staining but it is there especially at night when I spot remove and see the cleaned area against the not clean area and slowly of course the stains return.
3. I am closing the pool in the next 2-3 weeks and is draining as much water as safe a better solution to my problem? And letting rain and snow fill it over the winter?
4. Or is a combination of the two better? I am not sure how the metals being in solution and out of solution will affect the draining.
5. I see the reddish brown sediment on the bottom now for weeks and assume that's the iron. Will I see the sediment after MM or is it floating in the water crystalized?

<snip>
1. Should I use polyquat 60 for a safeguard?
<snip>
Do you have any borates? From what I read here, borates impede the growth of algae. In preparation for my MM treatment, I added boric acid and have borates at 50 ppm just for this reason. I didn't want to go the polyquat route but my CYA is only 25 ppm and I think I can run at 1 ppm for a spell while the MM does its work.

<snip>
I am a bit worried about that with not being able to shock for a week or two
The MM instructions vary a bit (ProTeam Sponge Test instructions, ProTeam instructions on the bottle and retailer website instructions). I just read the bottle again and it says, "After 48 hours resume normal operations," which I take to mean normal FC levels, but it also says "Avoid shocking pool water for up to 1 week after application."

Well, it has been 6 days since the treatment but as I said I didn’t want
to keep the chlorine down for long so I will blame myself. I am still getting the sediment that builds up along seams. Vacuum and clean filter but it just comes back. I will try this again in the spring but knowing I may have staining in the spring is there something I should put in for winter closing for that? I believe I have seen it here where you can’t get all of the iron out so how far can I take the water down to leave it to slowly fill over the winter or take it down and fill to that level that is safe. Any help is appreciated. I am thinking getting rid of iron is futile but maybe I’m wrong. I will continue to try at least for awhile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.