Metal stains and sequestrant

dlwxman

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2013
Lafayette, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I'm using the ascorbic acid treatment for pool stains as shown in TFP. I'm not sure the sequestrant I'm supposed to add after the AA is a proper one. I used Metal Magic last year but that wasn't available to me so I was given something called Metal Free from Natural Chemistry. The label says that "Cationic polymers used in many clarifiers, flocculates and polyquat algaecides should not be dosed to swimming pool water at the same time as metal control products. Cloudy water, precipitation and reduced product effectiveness may result. Wait 24 hours between additions."

I have added polyquat 60 to prevent algae while my FC is down. Do I need a different product?

I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about this, but bumping you up a bit hoping the experts chime in soon!

Dlwx, Metal Free is not an HEDP sequestrant. The MSDS used to say it was citric acid but now doesn’t state at all what’s in there. In other stain threads where I’ve helped people, they seemed to have trouble with it. I’ve never used it, but wanted to give you a heads up. In your shoes I’d take it back and swap for something that’s HEDP (diphosphonic acid) based.

Also, then you won’t have to worry about the polyquat 60.

I used this Metal Out with great success. I had Iron deposits all over my liner as you can see. I followed the directions, I did not do the AA treatment, I just added 1 bottle (quart) of Metal Out. I ordered mine off Amazon.
Metal Out.jpg
6_23_2017 pool.jpg
7_4_2017 pool.jpg
That Change while the dates of the files are several apart, the results were 24hrs on recirculation.

I added the AA yesterday so I would like to find something right away. Is Walmart's hth Metal and Stain Defense acceptable for use with polyquat? I looked for HEDP and diphosphonic acid (or any other ingredients) on the label but I didn't see any.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.