Metal stain.

Engraver1

Oct 13, 2019
UK
I have a brown liner stain throughout the pool, I have been able to remove the (iron) into the water but even with a product like "No more Metal" it creeps back, surely with todays technology there's a way of removing it out of the water? :)

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm not familiar with that product, or other products available across the pond, but we have found that ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. Remember that sequestrant breaks down slowly, so you need to add more regularly to maintain control of the iron.

Also ensure to maintain good control of your pH as an elevated pH tends to aggravate metals in water.

It is more low tech filtering with polyfill and towels in the skimmers that has been reported to capture iron dissolved in water. A search should find threads describing how people have done it.

Can Sequestrant be Filtered?
Jack's said that the combined HEDP-metal molecules will be filtered out of the water by filter media that removes particles 10 microns or smaller in size. This would include D.E. and Zeolite filter media. Coarser filter media, i.e. sand, requires the use of a filter aid like D.E. or fiber. Once the HEDP-metal molecules are trapped in the filter, the filter can be backflushed and the metals physically removed from the pool water.

Thanks for the replies, appreciated!
I've had my indoor pool for over twenty years without any problems. especially brown staining, there's no iron in contact with the water but about two years ago there was a mains water repair in our village but a mile away from my house, the mains water went brown, but this is normal and over the twenty years we have had lots of these.

The pool was shut down as usual over the winter, when I re-opened it I noticed the liner was stained at the deep end with an area of about ten feet, I bought LoChlor stain remover and No more metal and the stain disappeared completely but within a week it was back and throughout all the pool and a darker brown, I tried the stain remover again but it only removed about 50% of the stain, probably because Ph levels were too high?

I'm wondering, if I try AA and make sure that the ph is low, if the stain goes, what is the technique with Polyfill, I assume that's "Pollyfilla" and towells, is it just putting the filla in a towel and then in the skimmer, for how long etc?

People remove polyfill from pillows to use. If it is working capturing iron the polyfill and towels will turn brown. Keep removing and replacing it as long as necessary.

Last edited:
I received 1570989952684.png trying to go to the link https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/just-to-clear-up-this-polyfill-nonsense.147193/ too.

I think the correct link is

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I see now why you can’t to that thread. The other one will do.

I've tried that, it means adding chemicals to keep the metal suspended.......for ever!
There is a solution somewhere, the only other method would be to drain the pool, clean the liner with an AA solution and refill?

I've tried that, it means adding chemicals to keep the metal suspended.......for ever!
What I was suggesting above was to lift the metals into the seqestrant and the drain the water out and replace it with metal free water.

There is a solution somewhere, the only other method would be to drain the pool, clean the liner with an AA solution and refill?

There are many risks to draining a liner pool, depending on the age and brittleness of the liner. In general we don’t recommend draining a liner pool totally. Leaving some water in the bottom of a liner keeps it from shifting. But for you it leaves some metals in the remaining water.

Your choices to get rid of metals are filtering or draining. Or installing a new liner with fresh metal free water.

Filtering is I think the best way to go but as yet I've seen no method for filtering sequestrant metal after AA treatment as I'm told that Polyfill won't work?

You can try it. What do you have to lose?

As I posted in #3 Jacks says it can be filtered.

I was once told that fine glass filter medium works better than sand, it probably does for normal filtration but I don't know how true this is as it would need to be very fine to catch metal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.