Metal Magic in Salt Water Pool

Thanks for responding. Should I start the treatment when the PH is on the higher side and change the filter before treatment?
Planning to add 4 quarts for 22,000 salt water pool. Let that run for a 8-10 hrs a day for a week or two and change filter again Would you suggest a different process?
Phosphates are 414
Alkalinity 59
PH 7.9
Everything else is in range.

I've never used more than 2 quarts for my 20,000 gallon plaster pool. Are you planning on using ascorbic acid first? If the stains are bad or especially old, I would definitely use the AA first. Metal Magic is a sequesterant first and foremost, although I have heard people use it by itself with varying success. If you use the AA first, you'll have to drop the chlorine to almost 0 which can get dangerous especially when the weather is hot. Things can start growing in the pool faster in hotter water. One thing you want to avoid at all costs is having to do a SLAM after you do the AA treatment because that will cause the staining to come out of solution and back on your plaster.

Also be aware that if you go the AA route first, you'll go through a lot of liquid chlorine afterward adding the MMagic. It will take a lot of chlorine to neutralize all the AA in the pool. Depending on how much AA you add, you could be looking at 10 to 20 gallons of chlorine. You have to add it back slowly to avoid getting anywhere near shock level. I usually put in 4 ppm at a time after taking a FC reading. The FC will get wiped out very quickly initially, so you have to really stay on top of things and test and add more several times a day to avoid leaving the pool with no FC for any long period of time.

I usually add the AA in the morning and brush it around for a little while so it mixes really well. I let it sit for 1 to 2 hours max and then go right to the MM. By the evening, I'm already bringing back the chlorine up to 4 ppm or so. You don't have to wait for a whole week like you're suggesting.

There's really no need to clean the filter first unless you've recently had algae or it's that time of year and a cleaning is due. As for the pH, you could bring it down to 7.6 to 7.8 if you like before adding the MM. If you go the AA route, that will also lower the pH some as well, depending on how much AA you use. I generally use around 3 to 5 pounds of AA which is quite a bit more than what I've seen recommended, but I want to give myself the best chance of removing the stains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.