Hiram, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
After reading several posts I’m pretty sure I have iron stains in my pool. I’m going to try citric acid and a metal sequestrant. But, I don’t want to lower my chlorine. It’s a little bit high right now. But, I’m not sure how much product to buy. I know I’ll need more sequestrant with the chlorine high. But, I have no idea how much or what’s the best brand to get. Help, please.

Hey there PennyPat- Have you consideres trying some Polyfil?

www.troublefreepool.com/threads/from-brown-to-thank-you-polyfil.209114/
www.troublefreepool.com/threads/if-youve-got-iron-in-your-fill-water-use-polyfill-to-remove-it.146140/

www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Metals
www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sequestrant

While you can "hide" metals in the water with sequestrant, they're really still there and will require routine re-dosing. The only way to get rid of them entirely is to change the water out for metal free water.... or lessen them enormously (or completely?) using the Polyfil trick.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: mknauss
Hey there PennyPat- Have you consideres trying some Polyfil?

www.troublefreepool.com/threads/from-brown-to-thank-you-polyfil.209114/
www.troublefreepool.com/threads/if-youve-got-iron-in-your-fill-water-use-polyfill-to-remove-it.146140/

www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Metals
www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sequestrant

While you can "hide" metals in the water with sequestrant, they're really still there and will require routine re-dosing. The only way to get rid of them entirely is to change the water out for metal free water.... or lessen them enormously (or completely?) using the Polyfil trick.

Maddie :flower:
If I put the poly foil in my skimmers, do you think I could get by without the sequestrant?

Right now it is between 60 and 70%. It’s Georgia, so we go from winter to summer in a day sometimes. Lol
Same here. I was asking to see if the water will still cold enough to help slow organic growth to make a full-blown AA treatment easier when you drop the FC down to about zero. It can be done in warmer water like in the summer, but the chances of algae increase is why I asked.

Polyfill can help to capture iron suspended in the water. Always worth a try to physically remove iron versus a sequestrant which only keeps in in the restrained water.

Reactions: Pennypat
Do you know why you remove the filters when you add the ascorbic acid?
Putting the filter on recirculate or removing the filter cartridges helps avoid the small chance of coating your filter media with metals, which might end up forcing you to replace your filter media. This doesn't usually happen, even if the filter isn't on recirculate, but best to avoid even the small chance of a problem by using recirculate or removing cartridges.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I came to that conclusion based on reading threads on the website. (The color of the stains, other people’s experience, etc. I haven’t actually tested though. The stains look exactly like the pics on the ascorbic acid treatment link you referenced. I’ll let you know if it works.

Why do you think you have iron stains? I would not suggest ANY treatment until you positively identify the stains you have and where you think they came from.
I added the ascorbic acid and the stain’s started to disappear immediately. I’m going to try to drop my chlorine by only circulating for a while. I also put poly fil in my skimmers to try to remove the metal. I have some time because it’s a little chilly for swimming. But, you guys are all so helpful!! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2696.jpeg
    IMG_2696.jpeg
    544.4 KB · Views: 10
The iron will only cling to the polyfill if it is visible (ie - rust colored or greenish brownish water) As long as it stays in soluble
form, most of it will pass through the polyfil.

It sounds like you have correctly identified the stain and need to perform an ascorbic acid treatment to lift the stains and put the iron back to soluble form

So, will I have to wait until my chlorine drops and the pool turns green to actually get the metal out with the poly? Right now the pool is beautiful except the stains which partially came up with the ascorbic acid treatment. I added 2 lbs. I guess that wasn’t enough. I would really like to handle it without it staining again. Any ideas?

So, will I have to wait until my chlorine drops and the pool turns green to actually get the metal out with the poly?
I would recommend reviewing the AA article provided in Post #2. There are precautions taken to try and reduce the likelihood of an algae outbreak during an AA process when the FC is lowered. Timing is everything. Some owners elect to do a full AA treatment mid-season, but others wait until the fall when water temps drop again which dramatically slow down organic activity.

In the meantime, keep using polyfill while the iron is showing itself in the water. The more you remove now the better.

The metal isn’t in the water, the pool is just stained.
Then you have to decide if you want to so AA treatment now or wait until later when the temps fall. The iron removed from the pool surfaces will go back into the water at which point you need to decide if you want to exchange the water with fresh non-iron water OR live with the existing water by adding a sequestrant periodically to contain the iron in soluble form.

My pool completely cleared up after my ascorbic acid treatment. The stains completely cleared and the water was beautiful. I turned off the chlorinator and let it gradually go down. I was hoping to get the metal back into a soluble form so that I can remove it with the poly fil and avoid using a sequestrant. Once the chlorine got to zero, it started looking cloudy. But, no stains and and the water had no color. It was just cloudy. So, I turned the chlorinator back up and the brown stain is returning and the water has a tint of green. I’m getting confused. What should I do next? Poly fil? And, more ascorbic acid?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.