Metal in the water

Hey there PennyPat- Have you consideres trying some Polyfil?

www.troublefreepool.com/threads/from-brown-to-thank-you-polyfil.209114/
www.troublefreepool.com/threads/if-youve-got-iron-in-your-fill-water-use-polyfill-to-remove-it.146140/

www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Metals
www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sequestrant

While you can "hide" metals in the water with sequestrant, they're really still there and will require routine re-dosing. The only way to get rid of them entirely is to change the water out for metal free water.... or lessen them enormously (or completely?) using the Polyfil trick.

Maddie :flower:
Do you know how to get the iron back in the water so that I can use the polyfil trick?

You can get iron to go from a solution to suspension by raising FC levels. If there's iron in your water, the water color will turn green/brown when you bring FC up (especially 8-15PPM). Note, if you have sequestrant in your water, that will help to prevent/slow to change of iron going from solution to suspension until the chlorine breaks down all the sequestrant. Once your iron is in suspension and your pool color goes green/brown, you can filter it out with Polyfill in your skimmer(s).

Keeping in mind that I suck at this, I was thinking 🤔………,..,.slamming & try to filter with polyfil in skimmers and maybe an AA treatment to bring the chlorine back down and get stains and be back in swimming business . Thoughts? My grandson is turning one on 8/8 & I had planned on throwing a bunch of babies in the pool on the 12th. I realize it would take a while to filter the iron out that way.

Well you could intentionally turn your pool green by SLAM'ing it, and then keeping FC on the higher side for a couple days as you're filtering it out with the polyfill in your skimmers. After you get it out, you can lift the stains on the stairs with spot-AA treatments probably, and sequestering the stain.

I still think something odd is happening in your pool, and I can't put a finger on it, because when you've raised FC to 1-2 after an AA treatment your stains reappear and that's not typical at all, especially since you've been using Jack's purple as a sequestrant. Would you be able to share information on ALL the different stuff you've ADDED to your pool this season? (Yeah, I know that's a big ask.. sorry) Maybe there was some kind of magic potion added or something that is causing a reaction with something else. Also, just for kicks, have you tried Jack's Stain Identifier kit? I know you mentioned that AA does lift the stains on the stairs, so that points to iron, but, it might not hurt to try their Identifier kit to see if your staining reacts to anything else as well. I wish your other thread was getting more responses from TFP, but unfortunately, your issue is really, odd... ?

Well you could intentionally turn your pool green by SLAM'ing it, and then keeping FC on the higher side for a couple days as you're filtering it out with the polyfill in your skimmers. After you get it out, you can lift the stains on the stairs with spot-AA treatments probably, and sequestering the stain.

I still think something odd is happening in your pool, and I can't put a finger on it, because when you've raised FC to 1-2 after an AA treatment your stains reappear and that's not typical at all, especially since you've been using Jack's purple as a sequestrant. Would you be able to share information on ALL the different stuff you've ADDED to your pool this season? (Yeah, I know that's a big ask.. sorry) Maybe there was some kind of magic potion added or something that is causing a reaction with something else. Also, just for kicks, have you tried Jack's Stain Identifier kit? I know you mentioned that AA does lift the stains on the stairs, so that points to iron, but, it might not hurt to try their Identifier kit to see if your staining reacts to anything else as well. I wish your other thread was getting more responses from TFP, but unfortunately, your issue is really, odd... ?
I’m going to work on getting that info. I’ve been working and busy with a lot. Right now, I’ve just been keeping the pool balanced. And, trying to ignore the stains. I’ve been trying to get this fixed since the end of April. And, I have put a lot of chemicals in the pool. I ordered some slam. But , now I’m wondering if liquid chlorine would be a better alternative. I would rather filter the metal out than try to sequester it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.