metal corroding in the pool

Nov 14, 2015
Chicagoland, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have 2 safety line anchors, with fixed center bar, which are corroding. I saw it a little last year, but it's really bad this year. It's left iron staining to the right and left, and below the anchors. Pretty sure the anchors are nearly toast, but what should I be looking for, chemistry-wise, to prevent this in the future? What can I do about the iron staining on the walls?

Do you use a tab floater?

I would guess that it happened over the winter while the water was at that level and a tab floater ended up near the bar.

Crush up some ascorbic acid (vitamin C), put it in a cloth and put the cloth on the stains.

Last edited:
Nope! I've being using TFP. This is my 4th summer. Granted, I've not been a great pool mom this summer. Between the weather, kid's activities, and work, we've hardly been in the pool. :/ And I've not done a great job of monitoring. Mostly it's the PH that keeps getting high, (I think I was running the spillover too long, kept jacking it up, changed program to see if that helps. I also have some calcium buildup on the spillover, and around the tile near the spa, which I think points to a persistent pH issue.

No floaters over winter. Every year at start up, we have no CYA, and have to boost calcium. There's an overflow? in one of the skimmers that I assume allows the pool to drain/not overfill. I'll try some tablets. I'm afraid of dropping my phone in the pool to get a good enough photo. Did that once already ;) I'll see if I can get a decent zoom from the other side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.