Mechanical time trouble

Mar 2, 2012
Beaumont, Texas
I think there is problem with my mechanical timer that control my main pool pump and cleaner. The main timer for pool pump working fine but there power to clean pump even though timer is off. But when the timer to cleaner switch on the breaker jump. I had big rain storm yesterday morning. Is this mean timer to my clean is bad? Please help.

Attachments

• 1A98571F-85C3-4FD8-AE1E-B3A1C68BF9E9.jpeg
    1A98571F-85C3-4FD8-AE1E-B3A1C68BF9E9.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 93F6018D-132C-4D17-BB43-CF8AB7D785EC.jpeg
    93F6018D-132C-4D17-BB43-CF8AB7D785EC.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 13
I only see only an off clip on the clean pump timer. Do you mean that the clean pump timer trips the breaker for that pump when it is turned on? If so, it means that either the pump is not starting up due to a bad capacitor or the pump motor is shorted to ground or you have a wire burnt off of the connection terminal at the pump that is shorted to ground. Most pumps are 230 volts which means that if only 1 leg is switched through the timer, you will always see voltage at the pump.

H,

If the breaker pops when the cleaner (booster) pump is turned on, then the most likely problem is a bad booster pump.

I suggest that you have a friend that understands electricity come take a look at it..

BTW.. I envy everyone that can speak a second language... :thumleft:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I only see only an off clip on the clean pump timer. Do you mean that the clean pump timer trips the breaker for that pump when it is turned on? If so, it means that either the pump is not starting up due to a bad capacitor or the pump motor is shorted to ground or you have a wire burnt off of the connection terminal at the pump that is shorted to ground. Most pumps are 230 volts which means that if only 1 leg is switched through the timer, you will always see voltage at the pump.

booster pump still running when timer is off. When timer is on the breaker jump.

H,

Not sure how that is possible.. If the cable is bad, how was the booster pump running at all?

What did you find "wrong" with the cable? It is just two hot wires and a green ground???

Is everything working ok now?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
H,

The fact that you have stranded wire has nothing to do with the circuit breaker popping..

You need to figure out what is popping the breaker.

If this were my pool, (with the power off) I would reconnect the two wires you disconnected and go to the booster pump and disconnect the wires there.

With the two hot wires (red and blue) disconnected from the booster, turn on the power and see if the breaker pops.. If not, reconnect the two wires to the booster pump and try again. If it pops the booster pump is bad..

(If you are just determined to replace the wires either 10 or 12 guage will work..)

Thanks,

Jim R.

H,

The fact that you have stranded wire has nothing to do with the circuit breaker popping..

You need to figure out what is popping the breaker.

If this were my pool, (with the power off) I would reconnect the two wires you disconnected and go to the booster pump and disconnect the wires there.

With the two hot wires (red and blue) disconnected from the booster, turn on the power and see if the breaker pops.. If not, reconnect the two wires to the booster pump and try again. If it pops the booster pump is bad..

(If you are just determined to replace the wires either 10 or 12 guage will work..)

Thanks,

Jim R.
I fix the break pop by replace 3 wires that go to booster pump. Bad wires plus there water in the tube. Someone recommended me to use solid wires. That why I ask for second opinion. Thanks

If that is the case, I would use a 12 gauge whip like you show above..

Were the wires damaged? Did they get eaten by an animal? Wires don't normally just go bad by themselves.. ???

If the tube was full of water, that water would just have gone inside the pump and shorted out the terminals.. Just removing the water might be enough to get it running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If that is the case, I would use a 12 gauge whip like you show above..

Were the wires damaged? Did they get eaten by an animal? Wires don't normally just go bad by themselves.. ???

If the tube was full of water, that water would just have gone inside the pump and shorted out the terminals.. Just removing the water might be enough to get it running.

Thanks,

Jim R.
2 wire got damaged and I can the metal coming out from the wire. I don’t know the cause. There a little white mud mix with a little water. The whip only come with 10gauge wires.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.