MD - VA - PA - DE - DC - When are you opening?

Wisconsin here, outside your area but still a cold and snowy climate. :)

This will be my first year opening as I just got my pool last year. But I’m going with “After April 1, once the 10 day forecast has lows consistently above freezing.”

For me this year then I’m targeting this weekend if all goes well.

I’m going to be opening up within the next 3 weeks. Took a look under the cover the other day and it’s crystal clear and just waiting to be uncovered. Fingers crossed for a beautiful summer.

Opened today. 48 degree clear water. Still had 1.5 FC. Had closed Nov 9th at 55 degrees with 12 FC. It was 26 this morning but the next 10 days are above freezing. We are headed in the right direction.

Central PA here and we'll take a crack at it within the next 2 weeks. This will be our first time opening the pool solo so I'm a bit nervous about finding cracks and I know the water level is very high. We had a pool company close it and they didn't drain it below the return lines.

in northwest Arkansas and I usually open around May 15th and the water is still too cold for me, but the kids brave it! We have had warmer than usual temps for several weeks, although next week it will dip down in the higher 30's. i probably will open earlier than usual, but depends on how the temps hold. I peeled my cover back a few weeks ago and water was clear, YAY! The temp felt warmer than i expected, but i didnt test it. It is a little dirty, but just specs here and there. I am anxious/nervous to see if i have any split seams after the hard freeze we had. It was new pool last year, so i sure hope not. the price on these are about $500-$700 higher than last year. RIDICULOUS!!!! wanting to get a solar cover but not sure as alot of reviews say they flake off and get in pump. Also, i am OLDER and not sure me and the two kids could take on and off by myself. some say they are a pain.

Pittsburgh area. I opened on Sunday. 55 degrees. 1 FC. 7.5 Ph.
I had some repairs to make, but I wanted to get the water balanced before I turn on the heater.
Today and yesterday were really warm, so the water temp is up to 59.

I need to get my pool opened NOW! I'll do it first thing Saturday morning. Top off, folded, put away, drain plugs pulled, pool topped up, pump on, chlorine in. I fear I have waited too long so I'll hit it with maybe 5-10 gallons of bleach just for good measure. Water is clear though but getting near danger temperature.

I need to get my pool opened NOW! I'll do it first thing Saturday morning. Top off, folded, put away, drain plugs pulled, pool topped up, pump on, chlorine in. I fear I have waited too long so I'll hit it with maybe 5-10 gallons of bleach just for good measure. Water is clear though but getting near danger temperature.
If the water is clear maybe just do an OCLT when you open and see if you need to SLAM. I wouldn't worry too much. Temps are supposed to drop next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the cover off just now. Scooped out most of the leaves, added 4 gallons of 6% bleach left over from last year. I'll run the robot tomorrow. Also need to top it up but our water was coming out yellow today so I'll wait for the neighborhood lines to flush a bit.

1617916657062.png

We opened on 3/17....early, I know. Had water trucked in to top it off. Nice and clear now, and hubby went swimming when we got a few 80 degree days. Having problems with zero FC. Added CYA socks to skimmer tonight. Hopefully I will not have to SLAM.

Mount Airy, MD in-ground and water is 54F as of last weekend. I may open in a few weeks....but the pollen and stuff falling off of trees is brutal right now. Then the cottonwood will come...

Mount Airy, MD in-ground and water is 54F as of last weekend. I may open in a few weeks....but the pollen and stuff falling off of trees is brutal right now. Then the cottonwood will come...

Get 'er done soon or you'll open to green. I've been running the vacuum daily and almost crystal clear water already. That robot is 9 feet underwater! I added a gallon of muriatic as all I could see was dark purple on the pH test. Also got chlorine up over 5. Added my last 2 40lb bags of salt but probably need 5 more bags. I am hoping to run a full testing battery later today or tomorrow. Most of the plum trees are done and flowers have fallen so waiting on Cicadas and Pine pollen.

Also tested the heater today and it fired right up. If temps were higher I'd go for a dip! Probably can get my son to jump in for a "polar bear" challenge. My water is sitting at 62 today.

1618347872600.png

Get 'er done soon or you'll open to green. I've been running the vacuum daily and almost crystal clear water already. That robot is 9 feet underwater! I added a gallon of muriatic as all I could see was dark purple on the pH test. Also got chlorine up over 5. Added my last 2 40lb bags of salt but probably need 5 more bags. I am hoping to run a full testing battery later today or tomorrow. Most of the plum trees are done and flowers have fallen so waiting on Cicadas and Pine pollen.

Also tested the heater today and it fired right up. If temps were higher I'd go for a dip! Probably can get my son to jump in for a "polar bear" challenge. My water is sitting at 62 today.

View attachment 322660
I follow the pool closing rules from here and normally open Memorial Day weekend (or a few days before) and have never had any issue over the last 9 years I've owned this pool, and usually have the water clear and passing the overnight free chlorine loss within 3 days (swimmable on day 3). I do, however (as noted in another post) now have a mesh cover this year so the game has changed for me a bit. I'm thinking of doing a 'soft open' and leaving the cover on but getting it all cleaned up and pump running, chemicals balanced then talking the cover off closer to the end of may. It is VERY windy at my house so stuff blows in the pool from everywhere.

I'm thinking of doing a 'soft open' and leaving the cover on but getting it all cleaned up and pump running, chemicals balanced then talking the cover off closer to the end of may
I ran mine under the cover for up to a month every year. I was always chomping at the bits as soon as the freeze concern was over and would get it running, almost freezing weather would always return and I’d wait that out before opening still early. But once it was running I had no concerns of the chemistry because I was monitoring it. And it never needed much being cool still with the cover blocking most of the sun.

So get it running whenever it’s convenient and the cover can stay on as long as the debris warrants it.

My "soft" opening consists of removing the cover. We like to sit out on the deck and looking at the water is very relaxing. So essentially the pool is opened, albeit cold. I tested the heater yesterday and it fired right up. So I could in theory heat the water from 60 to 90 and start swimming. But the cost to do this will most likely be $400 between now and memorial day. I will lose a lot of heat at night and daytime temps won't be high enough to maintain much heat either. We'll see if the days start to heat up to consistent 80s I might just do it.

Opened on April 3rd. Kids loved helping me by collecting all the brass collars around the safety cover.

IMG_5169_compress10.jpg

Water looked good and had it up and running and balanced in a few days (mostly waiting for salt to be delivered and it completely dissolved before firing up the salt cell). We had a warm weekend April 10 and 11 and got the pool up to 85 on the 11th. Kids spent all day out there.

Reactions: B.lu and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.