If the water is clear maybe just do an OCLT when you open and see if you need to SLAM. I wouldn't worry too much. Temps are supposed to drop next week.I need to get my pool opened NOW! I'll do it first thing Saturday morning. Top off, folded, put away, drain plugs pulled, pool topped up, pump on, chlorine in. I fear I have waited too long so I'll hit it with maybe 5-10 gallons of bleach just for good measure. Water is clear though but getting near danger temperature.
Mount Airy, MD in-ground and water is 54F as of last weekend. I may open in a few weeks....but the pollen and stuff falling off of trees is brutal right now. Then the cottonwood will come...
I follow the pool closing rules from here and normally open Memorial Day weekend (or a few days before) and have never had any issue over the last 9 years I've owned this pool, and usually have the water clear and passing the overnight free chlorine loss within 3 days (swimmable on day 3). I do, however (as noted in another post) now have a mesh cover this year so the game has changed for me a bit. I'm thinking of doing a 'soft open' and leaving the cover on but getting it all cleaned up and pump running, chemicals balanced then talking the cover off closer to the end of may. It is VERY windy at my house so stuff blows in the pool from everywhere.Get 'er done soon or you'll open to green. I've been running the vacuum daily and almost crystal clear water already. That robot is 9 feet underwater! I added a gallon of muriatic as all I could see was dark purple on the pH test. Also got chlorine up over 5. Added my last 2 40lb bags of salt but probably need 5 more bags. I am hoping to run a full testing battery later today or tomorrow. Most of the plum trees are done and flowers have fallen so waiting on Cicadas and Pine pollen.
Also tested the heater today and it fired right up. If temps were higher I'd go for a dip! Probably can get my son to jump in for a "polar bear" challenge. My water is sitting at 62 today.
View attachment 322660
I ran mine under the cover for up to a month every year. I was always chomping at the bits as soon as the freeze concern was over and would get it running, almost freezing weather would always return and I’d wait that out before opening still early. But once it was running I had no concerns of the chemistry because I was monitoring it. And it never needed much being cool still with the cover blocking most of the sun.I'm thinking of doing a 'soft open' and leaving the cover on but getting it all cleaned up and pump running, chemicals balanced then talking the cover off closer to the end of may