Check that the dump flap has not come loose. It allows the water to release when you pull the unit out of the water.
I assume when you say come loose you mean a significant gap. The dump flap shouldn't have an airtight seal, right? There's not a huge gap between the flap and vacuum but I wouldn't consider it an air-tight seal either.

This is why I love this group! Thank you so much. Sounds like I need whether to buy a motor box or a new vac.
Or both. If you like these robots (i.e. "the devil you know vs the devil you don't"), having two means you will likely have at least one working robot all the time and a local source for spares. When mine does need a new motor unit I will probably buy another robot and work on getting a 2nd working motor box. I don't really like fixing them but I don't have a better option for getting my pool cleaned unless I "hire a weekly guy".

Last edited:
I assume when you say come loose you mean a significant gap. The dump flap shouldn't have an airtight seal, right? There's not a huge gap between the flap and vacuum but I wouldn't consider it an air-tight seal either.
The cloth flappy thing has a bungee/elastic on the side that attaches to the bottom opening and two metal rods on the other end that sort of fold over with each other to keep large debris from draining back out. It is not an airtight seal. The cloth flap has two purposes: to keep stuff from draining out the bottom when you remove it from the pool and to get clogged up and plug the intake if you have lots of leaves and cause the cleaner not to work well :)

When I get a lot of leaves in the pool I pull off the cloth flappy thing and put up with a little reflux. Neverthess, these robots do not work well at all when your pool gets a lot of leaves, so better have a plan B for getting the leaf-load out.

It does not have an air tight seal, but we have seen cases were it has fallen off or become disconnected enough that the cleaner suction is disrupted.

This is not the fabric flap seal in the bottom of the filter basket. This is along the rear brush, just to the inside of it. It allows the water to exit the unit when you pull it from the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.