maybe algae sediment?

Keep your FC at target for your cya which I think is 7. You can still party if your FC is below shock level
Get out and enjoy the pool, just keep the FC a little higher. SLAM again after the weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

24 is your slam level so stay at 15 for the weekend. Party hard and slam on Monday :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and try using skimmer socks they help a lot.

Why do we have to SLAM again after achieving the success criteria the first time around, and never falling below the target FC level (you're correct... it's 7). In fact, we slowly dropped from SLAM level to FC of 7.2 as of this morning... which is the lowest we've been.

That is, since we had a successful SLAM and for 100% certainty have been above the target of 7 FC, why are we having another problem?

Our pump is set to run about 8 hours per day right now. The inlet is just next to the skimmer portal, and aimed so that it pushes parallel to the pool lip in the opposite direction from that portal. The water is a little high right now due to lots of rain (about 1/2 way up the portal). The inlet is pushing water powerfully, floats and toys do constant laps around the pool as a result.

Never fear! Kim is here! LOL

Shhhhhh you are fine. You have done and are doing everything right! Go jump in your pool and take a lap or two on one of the floats with a adult drink in your hand.

What I THINK is going on is behind the light. I am going to bet that when you take it out you are going to be grossed out :suspect:

Also look at the door to your skimmer REAL close. We had one where there was a tiny crack in it and water got in and algae started growing there.

At least you now know what to look for and how to stop it before it all goes to pot.

You can and should have your party and swim! Push the FC up after everyone gets out for the night.

HUGS! I got ya!

Kim

Please talk us off the ledge.
I'll give that a shot.

1. Take Kim's advice with the adult beverage thing

2. Go swimming. Let your FC drift a couple of points below SLAM value and jump in. DO NOT let your FC go down to normal maintenance levels because you still have some unseen, invisible algae in your pool.

3. maintain your FC about double of what is normal for your pool until the sediment is completely gone. Your pool will be pristine, Don't forget to run the pump 24/7 and keep your filter cleaned up.

How did it happen? Who knows but I say this over and over.........Algae cannot grow in a properly chlorinated pool. There are many caveats to that but take that principle to the bank.

I think you could try adjusting the inlet down slightly to circulate some of the pools bottom. Also, run the pump more in the summer time. I run it 12 to 24 hours a day in the summer. Stagnant water in the summer sun is a recipe for algae growth.

Thanks everyone!

We will continue testing morning/noon/night, and will aim for an FC higher than the "target" of 7 over the weekend. We'll take note of overnight loss too while we're at it to keep an eye on things. Our goal is to start the next SLAM on Sunday night after a busy weekend of pool use.

Today, my wife and I are also cleaning the pool light, skimmer, and ladder. My wife has already scrubbed all pool toys and floats.

We'll return to filtering 24 hours per day.

Test not more than twice daily. Once daily is fine. You are not in the SLAM any more. Why do you think you will need to SLAM again? I am a bit confused here.....are two of you posting?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning! Coffee in hand, the sun is shining, and we're slowly stepping away from the ledge (thanks to great advice from the group here).

Yesterday, we held our FC at 10 (our target is 7 based on our CYA) all day long while we did our cleaning/scrubbing activities. The pool wasn't chewing through chlorine, was crystal clear, and the kids and their friends swam all day.

We scrubbed all of the following... which all were visibly clean already... no algae hiding anywhere, but I got in there with a toothbrush just to be safe...
- toys and floats
- ladder
- ladder mat
- skimmer
- light / inlet (again, everything was clean as can be)
- walls
- floor

We backwashed.

We re-aimed the inlet eyeball to aim at a 45 degree angle towards the bottom of the pool. And we've left the filter running 24 hours.

---
So, to recap... The reason we were nervous this 2nd time around is that we still saw sediment appearing on the bottom of our pool AND we had an overnight loss test (barely) fail (dropped 1.4 overnight a couple nights ago).

We re-ran the overnight loss test last night and didn't lose any FC's at all. CC was at .4. Water clear as can be. PH is 7.4. CYA is 50.

Perhaps the sediment on bottom of pool is something other than algae? And perhaps my wife just picked bad timing to miscount the drops while testing FC during the overnight loss test a couple nights ago? Seems like we're still in the clear after all. Yes?

--

Lastly, we plan to continue to aim for FC maintenance level closer to 10 than to 7 to account for high volume of swimmers and full sun conditions. Sound about right?

You are on the right track! I am so glad the sun is shining and the coffee is hot!

I wonder if the stuff on the bottom was dirt? It might be dead algae that just dropped out of the water. Whatever it was I am glad you have to skills and tools to take care of it!

GREAT JOB!

Kim

:)

It must be dirt I'm thinking. The only reason we thought otherwise was failing the overnight loss test (and being paranoid due to recent activities). Now that we've passed the overnight test again and been so thorough with all scrubbing, I think we can swim in peace. Just to be safe, we'll check overnight tests for a couple more days.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

:) Thanks! Yesterday was a great test for the pool... Beautiful sunny day, followed by more than a dozen sweaty 4th grade basketball players splashing around for HOURS while the adults had happy hour. All day, into evening, our FC held just above target levels where we want them on a day like that, and then overnight loss was less than 1, with all other levels being spot on.

To all of you that spend time posting such clear and proven instructions... THANK YOU. Sincerely. It's not easy to explain these things, but you do it wonderfully.

To all that have issues with their pool... There aren't any shortcuts. If it feels too good to be true, it is. Just take your time, read up on this site, ask thoughtful questions, and follow the advice you're given by this great group of folks. They will steer you straight.

HAPPY 4th of JULY!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.