May the fun begin - conversion of 15 yr Baquacil pool

I hate to be the one to spoil such a beautiful glue job (and I hope I’m wrong), but it looks like a couple of the fittings on the pump to filter connection are shallow like DWV instead of Schedule 40 PVC?
I looked really close also.. Looks like that 45 might not be a schedule 40...

Jack of many trades, master of none.

What do I have going on that you are seeing?
These are the fittings I’m wondering about.
879180BA-6F91-412F-8341-1D44FE90B266.jpeg
Compared to the other ones, you’ll notice the socket that the pipe slides into is much more “shallow”. This is usually indicative of PVC-DWV, which stands for “Drain-Waste-Vent”. DWV pipes are made for those 3 purposes, and aren’t rated for use in pressure systems. When placed under pressure, the connections can fail.

What you want is PVC “Schedule 40”, which is pressure rated.

If you look closely at those fittings, there should be identifiers. If you see Sched 40 or similar you should be in good shape. If you see “DWV” you’re going to want to replace those.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ok. Yea, I knew some slid in farther. There are a couple others between filter and heater of the same type. I was having trouble at my local store MayNardo's ( :unsure: ) finding what I needed. I am also not a big fan of how that pump to filter ended up. Just trying to get the water flowing again.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Ok. Yea, I knew some slid in farther. There are a couple others between filter and heater of the same type. I was having trouble at my local store MayNardo's ( :unsure: ) finding what I needed. I am also not a big fan of how that pump to filter ended up. Just trying to get the water flowing again.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Menards is “nice” and puts the DWV stuff with the Sched 40 stuff, so you’ve got to watch the tags closely.

These would be what you want for the 45:
NIBCO® Socket PVC 45-Degree Elbow at Menards
https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444449160806.htm

I can’t tell exactly what that back fitting is but if you can’t figure it out and want to take a closer pic we should be able to help find something!

End of Day 13.
Last night (Day 12) with the pump off 24hrs and didn't add any chemicals during that time, FC had dropped to 1. CC staying at 0.2-0.5 with pH down below 7. I added only 1 gal of 12.5%, and 1.5 lbs Borax.

24hrs later, FC is around 4, .2 CC (since not much color change when I added R-003). pH up to 7.2, Alkalinity 85-90.

First time testing CYA. I added 4 lbs earlier this week. It appears to me that its around 40-45 ppm.

Reactions: mguzzy and kimkats
I just finished getting the sand out of the decommissioned workhorse. Sandy has been there for 15 years and removed after one final filter job. I had to replace the multi port a couple years ago due to stripped threads on the input side.

I definitely saw why you need to replace the sand completely. Not sure it was truly done by the last company as there was a mixture of sand and crushed glass from 3-4 years ago. The chunks ay the bottom caked in sand was nasty. I'm glad I dumped gallons of chlorine during this process as it smelled better than the rotten goo in there. Yes, chlorine smelled good at that point.

Also, the tubing apparatus inside was half plugged. I sprayed down the main tube and goo tried to escape but couldn't. Plus, I was unable to disassemble to pull it out. If I was keeping it, frustration would have gotten me and I would have cut or broken it out. I just took this picture and it has been in the sun all day... I wish there was chlorine in there as it still reeks of dead goo.

Attachments

• 20210514_161456.jpg
    20210514_161456.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 36

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it still reeks of dead goo.
Disgusted Ew GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I have purchased a bag or three of schedule 40 parts to correct the disgraceful plumbing done by the last guy. ( :laughblue:) I plan to start dumping salt and get everything wired and plumbed for the SWG (FYI, the price of the RJ30+ has gone up $250 more than it was 3 weeks ago). I do I add the salt a bag or two a day or can I add more as long as I keep it stirred up? Pump runs 24/7 at the moment.

I have purchased a bag or three of schedule 40 parts to correct the disgraceful plumbing done by the last guy. ( :laughblue:) I plan to start dumping salt and get everything wired and plumbed for the SWG (FYI, the price of the RJ30+ has gone up $250 more than it was 3 weeks ago). I do I add the salt a bag or two a day or can I add more as long as I keep it stirred up? Pump runs 24/7 at the moment.
Yeah the spring sale is definitely over 😩
Test your salt level 1st! Then u just wanna be cautious & sneak up on the salt 🧂 🤣add 1/2 or 2/3 the amount poolmath tells u then retest in the next day or so & adjust accordingly adding 1/2 of what it calls for again unless you’re real close.

I have tried the K-1766 drop test. 1 drop to yellow, then with the R-0718. 1st or 2nd drop goes milky. I keep adding but never goes red, just pops to brown. I have added 1/3 of salt about 5 hrs ago, too soon to test? And I will be sneaking up on the correct level.

I have tried the K-1766 drop test. 1 drop to yellow, then with the R-0718. 1st or 2nd drop goes milky. I keep adding but never goes red, just pops to brown. I have added 1/3 of salt about 5 hrs ago, too soon to test? And I will be sneaking up on the correct level.
Test tomorrow

Reactions: Matt_PEBKAC_Oh
I don’t know what it is about that test but I always make the mistake and use the 25ml sample instead of the 10ml. It’s because the instructions say to “use the 25ml sample tube and fill it to 10ml”.

I think my brain doesn’t see the second half of the sentence sometimes so make sure your using the right sample size. Make sure you aren’t doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Salt addition = "Diamond day" . When you go to add salt make sure everyone is in the pool and ready to watch the pretty diamonds float down through the water. Their swimming with the diamonds will also help mix the salt in the pool!
yeah, well its still be 80 here, and the water was 70. Turned the heater on last night to get the temp up some. :)

Reactions: Lake Placid
Has been almost 24 hrs since the first addition of salt. Will test again tonight as I added more after supper last night. Here is the first result with the K-1766 test. Also, was checking everything, cleaned out the pump basket again..... That is pic #2

Attachments

• Salt Test K-1766.jpg
    Salt Test K-1766.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210519_114828.jpg
    20210519_114828.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 40

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.