May the fun begin - conversion of 15 yr Baquacil pool

Sand is sand.. you don't need to replace it.. at least not in this geological time frame.
Here ya go:
and

Sand is sand.. you don't need to replace it.. at least not in this geological time frame.
Here ya go:
and
Interesting. Didn't know there was deep cleaning method.

I know when on baquacil it was a major hassle. I had used their acid and method but last year, I too the top off after thier deep clean. The multi port had stuff in it and when I would pour Oxidizer directly in the top, it would bubble like a witch's kettle. I probably pour a gallon or 2 and I am sure it never completely cleaned up.

I may just have to remove the big fatboy and get the new DE installed.

At 10pm I tested and added chlorine. Tested now at 11:20p and I am sitting at 16-16.5 FC. 1-1.5 CC.

If you would grab a big handful of the “BaquaGoo” you’ll notice how sticky it is. This goo causes the sand in your filter to greatly clump together. Additionally this goo will cause increased chlorine demand, that’s the main reason we highly suggest a sand change once the conversion is complete. Deep cleaning won’t help the cause much just yet.

I suspect you’re VERY close to passing the OCLT. Once that is complete then is the time to change out the filter. Clearly some of the chlorine loss is coming from the filter as is the CC level, but just go steady. It’ll be addressed soon.

You are also at the point I suspect we can start slowing down some, especially since it’s so dang cold here in Ohio. At this point most your chlorine is used during the day by the sun as you have zero CYA to protect it. To save a tad bit of chlorine you may (or may not) want to only add it overnight and hold off adding during the day. This will minimize the loss and expense. Then again, at least here in south-eastern Ohio all we’ve had recently is cloudy days…….

Reactions: mguzzy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you would grab a big handful of the “BaquaGoo” you’ll notice how sticky it is. This goo causes the sand in your filter to greatly clump together. Additionally this goo will cause increased chlorine demand, that’s the main reason we highly suggest a sand change once the conversion is complete. Deep cleaning won’t help the cause much just yet.

I suspect you’re VERY close to passing the OCLT. Once that is complete then is the time to change out the filter. Clearly some of the chlorine loss is coming from the filter as is the CC level, but just go steady. It’ll be addressed soon.

You are also at the point I suspect we can start slowing down some, especially since it’s so dang cold here in Ohio. At this point most your chlorine is used during the day by the sun as you have zero CYA to protect it. To save a tad bit of chlorine you may (or may not) want to only add it overnight and hold off adding during the day. This will minimize the loss and expense. Then again, at least here in south-eastern Ohio all we’ve had recently is cloudy days…….
Yes, the last 2-3 days have only been night additions. Starting about an hour ago, rain started...its going to rain for the rest of Mother's day. Not sure how my test sample will be. But, it sure is clear water!

Day 10. Can't remember the last time I had ice on the robot when I put it in the pool!

FC 16
CC 1

As of 1130pm last night, having added chemicals around 9pm, lost only .5 FC. CC remains at 1 as it has for the last couple days.

Pool is very clear.

Attachments

• 20210510_065143.jpg
    20210510_065143.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 20
Good news, you’re done!

Change the sand and once that’s done add the CYA. Keep things at an FC of 15 until that last bit of CC’s disappear, but with this awesome weather we’re having you should expect little chlorine loss once you get some CYA

Congrats!! No more baqua

Good news, you’re done!

Change the sand and once that’s done add the CYA. Keep things at an FC of 15 until that last bit of CC’s disappear, but with this awesome weather we’re having you should expect little chlorine loss once you get some CYA

Congrats!! No more baqua
Adding CYA. Should this be done a lb. At a time? Haven't tested for it since I haven't put any in. Poolmath shows I need to add 4lbs.

Put it in a sock and hang in front of a return. I would add most of the 4 lbs into the sock the first time. It takes a while to dissolve, and a while longer to show up in the test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.