Matt from Central Arkansas. Dow flake ice melt for calcium? 83-87% Cal Chloride

mattrufus

May 15, 2017
little rock/ ar
Just wondering if I can use this stuff? Previous owner left a big bag. If not, what should I use? What's the difference? I read another thread about this, but seemed more opinion and less fact. Has someone used snow melt for calcium for a long time. My main concern is the 13-17% that's not Cal Chlor. Also, if something else is recommended, what's it composition.

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I have added about 10 pounds already. Didn't seem to cause any problems. Maybe a little hit with water clarity. Probably gonna add another 15 pounds this weekend. Anyone else have a preferred product, let me know. I'll check out the recommended chemicals link.

Where did you see that? Here is what it says for salt

Salt can simply be dumped into the pool. Spread it around a bit with a brush so there aren't any large piles, and leave the pump running for 24 hours after adding salt. If you have a SWG, it should be turned off while you are adding salt and for the next 24 hours.

Aha! That explains it. :thumleft: Yes, the salt tends to pool in high concentrations while it is dissolving and it isn't all that good for the SWG to have very high salt water going through it.

Speaking of bad SWGs, is there an easy way to tell if it's working? My chlorine seems to be lacking. My thought was boost it for 12 hours. If I don't show appropriate chlorine, there must be a problem. It's crazy how many testing strips I've been going through.
I must admit, I've been running it while adding salt. I think my system cuts it off when it's outside the workable range. I cleaned it a week ago and it looked great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.