MasterTemp 400 Immediately Tripping GFCI Breaker

James James

Mar 16, 2021
San Antonio, Texas
Greetings Trouble Free Pool members.
This is my first post. I am troubleshooting an issue with my Pentair MasterTemp 400 that is immediately tripping the GFCI breaker. This started happening after a rain or heavy moisture in the air. I checked inside the heater and discovered that mice had chewed the ends of some of the wiring in the area around the terminal board. I was able to put new connectors on the areas with damage but am still experiencing the issue. I can also see where the mice had urinated on a lot if the electrical components (transformer, blower, ignition control module). I cleaned up all of the grounds and removed and cleaned the Fenwal ignition control module as well. I have used a multimeter to check for leaking voltage and I see that terminal F2 on the Fenwal has about 40 milivolts when I check for DC current to ground. When I unplug the blower at the harness connection, the heater no longer trips the GFCI breaker. None of my other breakers within my intellitouch system ever trip. Only the GGCI breaker on the sub panel. Any ideas on what next steps I should take? Thank you for any assistance with this.

James, welcome to TFP.

Sounds like the rodents trashed your heater.

Replacing the blower motor runs around $700 for the part and may not totally fix your problems. I would consider replacing the heater.

Thank you for your response ajw22. Do you know of a test to confirm the blower is part of the issue? I have read that sometimes the transformer can cause the gfci breaker to trip. None of my be other Pentair intellicenter breakers are tripping. It seems I have a voltage leak as I am getting some indication on the multimeter between the black 240 terminal to ground at the blower connector with the blower unplugged. Thanks again.

You will find methods for testing the air blower at....

I would not expect any other IntelliCenter breakers to trip. Only one breaker is connected to the heater.

The blower motor may run but it may trip the GFCI with a voltage leak from the urine corrosion. I suspect that the urine caused problems with many components in the heater. That heater will never be without problems again.

You will see the new MasterTemp has redesigned openings that are more rodent resistant.

MK Rat Proofing sells wire mesh kits to cover the vents or you can fabricate your own using 1/4" mesh wire screen or simple chicken wire and some sheet metal

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.