Massive algae bloom

This map shows the annual pan evaporation rate which is about 80" per year in your area of Texas. That would be 0.2" per day, though even if we double this for more evaporation during the summer it's still only 0.4" per day -- far less than you are seeing. A heated pool will lose more, but again what you are seeing sounds like a leak.

Definitely have to perform the bucket leak test. Searched here and finally found a decent write-up of the process.

Meanwhile I'll have to keep topping it off every couple days. Maybe I'm compressing the # of days observing the loss but it does seem excessive in any case compared to what I remember from our other pool a few miles south, >13 years back.

I have a couple possible areas of concern, including some recently-noticed missing tiles inside the skimmer mouth that I do need to replace or make a patch with the epoxy in lieu of tiles...

At some point I want all the tile removed and replaced, but that's for another budget year. If I have a leak other than those missing tiles, my next budget year may wind up being devoted to leak repair!

djbilo said:
Added 1 gal bleach this evening. Ran pump for an hour and shut off.

FC: 5.5
CC: 0
TC: 5.5
TA: 90 (I need to repeat, unsure of the # my wife recorded and she can't tell either)
CH: 120
CYA: Still <20
pH: 7.4 (just under 7.5 - but more than 7.2 on the color chart)

What is anyone's noted water loss rate in the southern/central US this time of year? I still wonder about the amount of water loss due to evap but could be because of the extreme dry conditions. Loss of 2-3 inches in a single 24-hour period and there is no sign of a leak anywhere I can "see". Doesn't mean there isn't one, but there don't seem to be the usual symptoms anywhere around the pool so far as I can tell.

This morning:

FC 4.5
CC 0
TC 4.5
TA re-test is 60, so I doubt last night's number is valid.

>1" water loss just since last night (no bucket test yet; was dark) - no doubt that's excessive.

If the leak is high up the water level such as the skimmer is that enough to deplete the CYA as it passes into the skimmer pump suction line?

I am going to look at the skimmer mouth area problem tomorrow or as soon as the rain (yay!) stops and test that area first for leaks. Then I will test the drain pipe...not 100% sure the best way to do that but may start with dye at the skimmer end of the pipe and see if I can see any movement. Not sure I can test from the drain itself, though I read how some dive down and back up to work to remove the drain cover and inspect the pipe fitting underneath. Where is scuba gear when you need it?

Then the light fixture with dye...then, dunno. I bet one or more of these is the culprit.

FC: 2.5 ppm (heavy rain last 24 hours in DFW; Yay!)
CC: 0
TC: 2.5 ppm
TA: 60
CYA: Still <20 but closer to 20 than previously observed from what I could tell.
CH: 100
pH: 7.2

I have neglected to mention - this pool was inspected in May and found to be about 1" off level. One can indeed see that in the water line at the tiles on either end.

As far as cause of leaks, anyone have odds as to pool drain, light bowl or skimmer/suction pipe as most often the culprit due to such an irreversible shift? The whole foundation as a unit was stated to be solid and intact.

12-hour water loss was about net 1", in the bucket test (negligible evap and 1" drop in the pool....NUTS!). That would explain my previous 2-3" observation given I wasn't adding water every single day. Because of the rain I can't repeat the test with the pump running to see if it is more or less than with the pump not running - maybe tomorrow.

Tell me if my thinking is valid or wrong...

My pool is low on calcium and CYA. It needs chlorine. At this point Trichlor tabs, which have all of what I need, should not be a problem to use until the levels come up, at which point back to liquid chlorine for maintenance?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pH is low enough already and the tabs will drive it down further.

It will take a VERY long time for the tabs to add enough CYA.

Tabs do not add CH.

You would be much better served to adjust each item separately and save the tabs for vacations or other times when you have to be away.

Simple is always better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.