Manual relief valve leaking

Jan 24, 2015
I took my filter apart this morning to clean it and ever since I can't seem to get the manual relief valve on the top to seal all the way. I've taken the top back off and checked it from the inside and nothing appears to be wrong that I can tell. I've also played with it from the top side with no luck. Is there a trick to these that I'm not getting or can they just "go bad"? It wasn't leaking this morning before I took it apart so I'm not sure:(
3c8780a3337bd6ac0bc0f14119968e21.jpg

The O-rings can get twisted or split inside.

Or there's a piece of grit in there keeping it from seating. Shut everything off, open the bleed and let some water glug out so there's some air space in the filter then try blasting backwards through the valve with the garden hose. That costs nothing to try.

If it doesn't work, you have a legitimate reason to go to the pool store. Obscure bits of hardware are an acceptable reason to go inside.

Reactions: Ignoramus
The O-rings can get twisted or split inside.

Or there's a piece of grit in there keeping it from seating. Shut everything off, open the bleed and let some water glug out so there's some air space in the filter then try blasting backwards through the valve with the garden hose. That costs nothing to try.

If it doesn't work, you have a legitimate reason to go to the pool store. Obscure bits of hardware are an acceptable reason to go inside.
Can a bad air relief valve assembly cause the water level to drop in the pool pump strainer basket when the filter is off? I replaced both o rings on the air relief valve assembly, yet after about an hour when the filter is off, the water level in the strainer basket drops. I also replaced the strainer basket lid o ring and no luck.

Can a bad air relief valve assembly cause the water level to drop in the pool pump strainer basket when the filter is off? I replaced both o rings on the air relief valve assembly, yet after about an hour when the filter is off, the water level in the strainer basket drops. I also replaced the strainer basket lid o ring and no luck.
Yes. Allows air in and water to fall back to the pool. Not a major issue as long as the pump can prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.