Pool Started 6/25/20 on a 20x40 Central PA

BrettRod

Jan 14, 2020
Central PA
My wife and two kids (3.5 & 8) and I have a PB picked and are scheduled to start the end of May 2020. Right now we are thinking that we would like a double roman 20x40 liner pool. We do want a jumping rock and a sitting ledge, cantilevered concrete. Please don’t make fun of my childlike drawing ?

I will post a picture below of the pool company standard pool equipment. We have never owned a pool. The PB seems to have a good reputation in our area and only does about 20 pool per year. Same crew does every pool.

Please let me know if there are other considerations I should make in design or equipment. Also, should I go the full 8’ deep to allow for diving? Built in stairs cost vs Gray plastic/fiberglass? Ways to exit from the deep end that pool owner have found to like that would work? Any other cool addition/features that people love in their pool that don’t cost a fortune (Jets, bubblers, lighting).

FD0B487B-086D-4E4F-AC65-8EFF08129974.jpeg7A891B8E-AD47-46C3-ADFF-335A596EB0A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Snoobug
Hi and welcome to TFP! I LOVE your "child like drawing" If only mine were as good LOL

The PB seems to have a good reputation in our area and only does about 20 pool per year. Same crew does every pool.
LOVE this! I think the biggest problem with some builders is they try to do too many at one time :(

should I go the full 8’ deep to allow for diving?
YES PLEASE! @YippeeSkippy would LOVE your pool forever!!!!

I am going to ask @Jimrahbe to look at the equipment list.

Extras=lots of floats and pool noodles! All of the stuff you listed are more of party favors. They are fun for about 5 mins then don't get used again. To me would be very low return on the $.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: BrettRod
Brett,

I have an EasyTouch and it works great... but... It is now old technology and if I were building a new pool, I would install the new IntelliCenter.. It is much better than than the older EasyTouch and is almost the same price. The EasyTouch is next to useless without the ScreenLogic add-on that allows you to program and control things with your PC, tablet or phone. ScreenLogic costs about $500 bucks, but a similar system is included with the new IntelliCenter. I can have a max of 12 programs or schedules. The IntelliCenter has a max of 100.. With an EasyTouch you get what you buy.. The IntelliCenter is a modular system, so you can add more modules if you wish in the future.

Both the EasyTouch and the new IntelliCenter have packages that come with the internal SWCG power supply and the salt cell. I would not recommend buying either automation system without the internal power supply..

The IntelliFlo is the "gold standard" of VS pumps.. Just make sure you NEVER, ever get the one with the SVRS option..

I am not familiar with the Sta-Rite filter but I would ask your pool builder why not the CCP-520??? Ask him what makes the Sta-Rite better. If nothing else it looks old a tired to me. :mrgreen:

I do not see anything that will not work,, Just some things that I think could be better..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would install the new IntelliCenter..
Sounds like a winner!

I am not familiar with the Sta-Rite filter but I would ask your pool builder why not the CCP-520???
Pentair system 3 mod media
He told me he has had really good outcomes with this filter and the cartridge will only need taken out and cleaned at the end of the season each year. Pricing seems similar to the one you mentioned. Does that one sound like a similar maintenance schedule and have similar or better filtering?

I would not recommend buying either automation system without the internal power supply..
Is this something I will need to ask for then or do certain systems come with power supply?

For the pump, he has the VSF as his standard.

Thanks!

Reactions: jvaymd
Brett,

Filter wise the CCP-520 is a little larger.. it has four same size cartridges and I'm sure you would not have to clean them but once a season.. But, in the big picture it sounds like six of one or half a dozen of the other... I would not make an issue out of it.

You must buy the specific model of automation that comes with the Internal power supply.. They generally come in a kit where you get the automation and the salt cell together. Just ask the pool builder what specific model number of automation you are going to get and tell him you want the "Internal" salt cell power supply and NOT the "External power center".. I suspect that is what he is going to do, but it is best to make sure..

I personally like the Variable Speed (VS) only pump , such at the 011028, but the Variable Speed and Flow pump will work just fine. I just see no advantage in having the VF option and it costs more. Again, nothing that I would fight over..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: BrettRod
He told me he has had really good outcomes with this filter and the cartridge will only need taken out and cleaned at the end of the season each year.
This is my filter and it has worked great. If it breaks i am buying another one tomorrow. My favorite part of this filter is the easy taking apart. Those big lugs are easy to turn and will never rust. The only negative thing i can say is that the bigger outer filter can be very heavy when wet for some people. The taller middle filter isn't exactly light either. Having 4 smaller sized filters would be easier to lift out and carry for most people.

Hello! I would recommend making either one or both sides of the pool closest to the house have 8-10’ of concrete. I know you have a covered area and grass next to the pool, but you will miss having the extra concrete. It’s one of the most common items people comment about wishing they had more of if they go small. And it’s troublesome to get more later that looks nice/matches. I’d also specify that the equipment pad be poured concrete. The wording sounds like concrete blocks which shift with time in our climate. And make it bigger rather than smaller. Ideally have him sketch out the equipment layout/spacing/piping for you on paper. So many PB’s do poor with in that area. Mine was bad and I reworked all of the plumbing after a few years. Insist on Jandy Neverlube or equivalent style valves. You don’t want the cheap types of valves where the handles break after a few seasons exposed to the sun. Recommend pouralid skimmer covers. https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/pool/stetson-development-sdi-201-pal-t-pouralid-10-in/88157p1

8-10’ of concrete. I know you have a covered area and grass next to the pool, but you will miss having the extra concrete.
At first I was going to do that but then was thinking of doing artificial grass or pavers out from the 5’ surround to break it up a bit? Any negatives? They will be charging $7.25/sqft for any extra standard concrete which isn’t bad.
Jandy Neverlube or equivalent style valves
I’ll check these out!
pouralid skimmer covers
I saw some others mentioning these. Thanks!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drone shot of back of house. I would like to start the patio area for the pool at the bottom side of the fire pit. I will be removing the fire pit area.
CCC13240-C024-4AF2-94F4-5ECE404F16D8.jpeg
I will be dealing with a bit of slope
B5DCDA4C-9A6D-4A9E-ACB9-0E68B81AC5AC.jpeg
Looking toward the pool area from the patio. I can’t put the pool directly in front of the patio due to a sandmound for septic being there. I would like the concrete to have some browns in it to match this patio but cost will be a factor.06B30FF2-7B3A-4F0E-ABA9-47997EE6F198.jpeg

I knew you'd get all the tech help here! LOL

So you have quite a slope. Def be prepared for the land/hardscaping part. We didn't think we had much of a slope, wow, I was wrong! We wound up doing a boulder retaining wall and are very happy with the look.

I would consider making a concrete sidewalk around the garage side of the fire pit (or even around both sides) to the pool deck, keeping the fire pit area intact and allowing the stone wall to be showcased from the pool area. Though my idea does make you get creative with how you fence in the pool. I'm assuming the pool will be fenced separately?

For the pool deck and concrete vs. concrete and turf/pavers...I would recommend a continuous surface for that area. The idea I get behind is having continuity in areas that will have like activities taking place on them. The whole area around the pool will have "pool activities" going on (bare feet, walking from chairs to pool, playing pool area games, etc.) and the continuity of surface would be beneficial. If you were to have 10' of concrete and then 10' of turf, that would be different to me. It would be a pool area and then a play/recreate area behind it.

Another idea contrary to my 'sidewalk around the fire pit' thought is to do what you had drawn, making that a transition area, and having a separate area somewhere for the fire pit. I know your stone fire pit looks great, and I'm 100% a wood burning fire pit guy, but I have a thought for you. If you haven't see the new style of fire pits (double-walled stainless steel) you must look into them. They make burning wood so much easier and more enjoyable. VERY little smoke once going (10 minutes), very easy to start, burns wood much easier (even wood that is not as dry as you would like). Honestly the product is amazing and I have no stake in them but for being a satisfied customer. Ultra-Efficient Wood Burning Backpacking Camp Stoves & Fire Pits Solostove is a popular brand of them. I have the Bonfire, but your space may scream for the Yukon size (though it would take a fair amount of wood to get it full of flame).

No way you can keep that wonderful fire pit area??
I want to get the pool as close to the patio as possible. So the firepit area will come out, but I may rebuild it. I built this area about 5 years ago so I can always do it again. Lots of heavy lifting ahead though!
Def be prepared for the land/hardscaping part.
Thanks for the help! The slope tapers off a bit after that first section but it will certainly need addressed. I like your boulder idea. I’ll either do that or build a stone wall like I did my fire pit.
I'm assuming the pool will be fenced separately?
Yes the pool area will be separate. I plan on have 5ft on the far side, 8-10ft on the left rock jump side, 10 ft on the right side, and 12-15ft in the near side (house). So thats why I was thinking of keeping things more symmetrical around the pool and do something different beyond that. It’s tough though!

Here is the current idea. My wife does not want a jump rock for safety ??‍♂️ so I am fighting between a 3’4”-6’ slope or just going ahead and doing the dive pool at 8’. I think I want to center up the radius bench over the whole pool and push the cuddle bench a little closer to the diving end.

This will be a liner pool (probably Latham Reef) with cantilever concrete coping.
7E2AB6DE-767C-40F4-8E5D-730BA0A2F901.jpeg
CBCD3D72-1EEE-4172-9FFC-1140229030EB.jpeg

IMO, I'd go for the 8' (we didn't want a diving board or a rock and went to 6', but I wish we went 8 for when our kids are older).

Agree on centering the roman bench.

What exactly is a cuddle cove? Is it just a smaller bench or does it have a step or two? If you aren't dead set on it, you can even ditch the cuddle cover as the Roman bench can serve as the secondary entrance/exit.

I second the 8' deep end. Especially on a 40' pool. The main thing you lose is a volleyball court. I love it. I always get in via the deep end. And now I use the pool more than anyone with my kids being 17 and 19.

Basketball still works well with a basket at the mid-point. Shooting while treading water is fantastic exercise. Or maybe I'm just not in very good shape.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
What exactly is a cuddle cove?
It is just a 2’x4’ bench that is liner covered. I like the radius bench centered but then I feel like I will need something closer to the deep end to exit.

Basketball still works well with a basket at the mid-point.
I was thinking of doing the water filled basketball hoop so I could move it as needed. Any major downfalls to the higher end ones?

Mine is water filled and higher end. Not super attractive, but very functional. The backboard and rim together has a breakaway design. They also make a clear backboard version. Smaller ones are fine but they will move or tip with heavy play.

Splash and Slam

This is a picture of it at a very low setting. It can go quite high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.