Main drains set too low in concrete pool, any thoughts

Indoorpooluk

Jan 9, 2021
England
Hello all
Constructing an indoor swimming pool in the uk and struggling to overcome this.
I plan on laying 75mm insulation (xps insulation already bought) and then screed on top of the concrete, as you can see the main drains are set too low
I have found a seperate part that could be solvent bonded to the insitu drain to increase the height by 38mm but its still too short
Any ideas, i cant face digging up the concrete and reinstalling
I guess this problem has come up before where older pools without insulation update.
Any thoughts and thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_20210104_142432.jpg
    IMG_20210104_142432.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210104_142453.jpg
    IMG_20210104_142453.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210104_142509.jpg
    IMG_20210104_142509.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20201129_135453.jpg
    IMG_20201129_135453.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 49
Welcome to TFP.

Explain in more detail the buildup of materials you intend from the concrete.

How thick will the materials be? How long do you need to extend the drain?

In the US the concrete gets a layer of plaster which your drain would accommodate. Any insulation should have been placed before the concrete.

Hi all
Unfortunately no insulation under the concrete and the two main drains have been set too low
I planned to lay 75mm insulation on to the concrete and then screed on top, the drains will therefore be approx 100mm below finished floor level but if i cement solvent bond the drain in the pictures to the original drain finished floor level is still 65mm higher which maybe could be dished in the screed
Thanks for looking, my inexperience is showing but grateful for any ideas

I do not know what material "screed on top" is. Is that British English name for plaster?

This site talks about XPS insulation being below the concrete slab.

Do you know of pools in your area that have plaster applied on top of XPS insulation? I would think it would not be a stable enough base for plaster. The plaster may crack and leak. And if water leaks behind the plaster where will it go? With plaster on-top of concrete when water gets behind the plaster the concrete is porous and the water drains into the ground.

@onBalance what are your thoughts about plaster on top of xps insulation boards on a concrete pool floor?

Last edited:
I do not have any experience with this. My thoughts are, unless the pool shell is actually up out of the ground and exposed to the weather, I see no reason to install insulation boards. I also would be concerned about the effectiveness of BONDING the new plaster to the insulation boards, and the boards would have to be very VERY rigid to avoid any flexibility that would cause the plaster to crack.

Reactions: kimkats and proavia
Conductive heat loss is generally the smallest component of total heat loss of a swimming pool (< 10%) and since concrete has fairly low thermal conductivity to begin with, the extra insulation isn't likely to change the heat loss characteristics of the pool very much

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldnt install insulation above the concrete it will come back to bite you. Any ridgid insulation is placed under the floor and honestly you wont ever know the difference. Plaster needs to adhere to a surface with zero deflection. The majority of heat loss is rise thru evaporation, the floor amd walls are naturally insulated via the earth. The only thing worth insulating is the walls amd then the top via an auto cover or solar blanket. Dont waste your time and effort on the floor you will have plaster issues down the road

Reactions: kimkats
Screed isn’t plaster. It’s often used in the uk on top of a concrete (or concrete beams) and insulation base. The screed provides a smoother finish than concrete so you can lay carpet on top of it.
(Why You Might Need to Screed a Concrete Floor - Concrete Flooring Solutions). I’ve just had this on the ground floor of my new build house but I’ve no clue about it in pools!!

I'm familiar with screed we use it in Greece as well. Theres a limited amount of weight that can be placed on it. When post and beams are set, they are all built first and the screeding goes up to them amd around them.
So in a pool, the whole floor is structural as it carries the load of the water which is very heavy depending on gallons of course. You wouldnt place load bearing supports over screeding, just as you never place water load on it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.