Main drain

Jul 31, 2018
canada
I have been trying to have this problem fixed since pool opening, without results

the contractor now thinks my problem with loosing water is with the valve in the main drain.

He is reluctant to change the hydrostatic valve as in has been in place for many years. the problem seems to be that the metal valve is connected to a plastic pipe and he is afraid that the pipe may crack or break and cause more problems.

It is an older cement pool, and I have no idea when the main drain valve was last checked.

I am afraid to leave it unrepaired, in case I loose all of the water ( as happened last year) and the pool collapses this time , but also afraid to have the valve replaced and have to tear up the bottom to put in new lines.

Is there an alternative to replacing the valve or should I give it a go and hope for success

Re: Main drain

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

I wonder about eliminating the main drain? You do then need to be absolutely sure you maintain the water level in the pool (no drain) or it could float.

To work on the pool (replaster, etc) you would have to dig ground wells around the pool to ensure there is no groundwater.

Just thoughts and considerations.

Re: Main drain

It has been suggested that I close off the main drain to eliminate water loss.

I previously posted my complete problem in this section :Darragh or water loss ...posted early August

My contractor is reluctant to replace the valve, as it is old and he is afraid of cracking the pipes
so my alternative is to live with the water loss or close off the bottom drain completely.

I live in central Ontario so it is very cold in the winter, and will have to maintain a reasonable water level all year to prevent the pool from heaving up,

has anyone had an experience in closing off the drain, good or bad...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.