Main drain vs skimmer...and pressure

Jul 2, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a simple in ground setup. I have two valves that can be shut off. One valve shuts off main drain and the other the skimmer. Does it hurt any to shut off one valves completely if I want sediment to be sucked into main drain or if I want leaves to go faster into the skimmer? All I notice is the pressure dropping by 2 psi from 14 to 12 psi on filter gauge that is all. Am I hurting anything? Does the pressure drop because the pump realizes it's only pushing one suction line so it works less hard?

If you block one suction line, the pump is getting less water than it's able to pump, so pressure goes down. If you restrict a return line, pressure goes up. It's normal.

I like to set the main drain to draw just enough to see a difference in the skimmer but no more. Unless I'm brushing.... then I go full drain in the hope it will suck the dust in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.