May 3, 2017
Boca Raton
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My main drain hase pressure when I turn off the skimmer but the dirt around it is not getting sucked in....any ideas, is there another wast to test it? some water dye?

Several things might apply in your situation ...
- How is the drain plumbed? Seperately on its own line, or connected to the skimmer? If connected to the skimmer, is there a diverter valve in the skimmer?
- Drain valve wide open at thte equipment pad?
- Does filter pressure stay the same for both the skimmer and drain when used independently?
- Does your filter gauge (needle) go to zero when the system is shut-off?

You could try applying some food coloring at the drain to watch for a reaction.

Reactions: nickrom32
Several things might apply in your situation ...
- How is the drain plumbed? Seperately on its own line, or connected to the skimmer? If connected to the skimmer, is there a diverter valve in the skimmer? I'm not sure, the is a hole in the skimmer the has a plug screwed into it
- Drain valve wide open at thte equipment pad? the valves are wide open
- Does filter pressure stay the same for both the skimmer and drain when used independently? no th pressure will vary slightly when i close one or the other
- Does your filter gauge (needle) go to zero when the system is shut-off? do you mean when the pump is off? i have to check, i can post pics when i get home

You could try applying some food coloring at the drain to watch for a reaction.

Nick,

I have never seen a main drain that would "suck in dirt"... If you put your hand on the drain cover you will not even be able to feel any suction.. That is pretty normal operation. They are not really there to suck in dirt..

Let's see some pics of your equipment pad..

Thanks

Jim R.

Nick, just to confirm since you asked ..... the plug at the bottom of the skimmer is just fine. Some skimmers are pre-fabricated with two holes - one hole from a drain the other to the pad. But in your case the drain was plumbed directlty to the equipment pad - a good thing. So the 2nd skimmer hole was not needed and therefore closed. Nice pool and tile work.

Nick,

Thanks for the pics.. It is clear that you have two inputs to your pump, the Skimmer and the Main Drain. As I said before, your main drain will not really have enough suction to suck up dirt. If you brush dirt into a cloud over the main drain, a little will get into the main drain, but not enough to make it worthwhile.

I suggest that you close the valve to the main drain so that it is only open about 10% and leave the skimmer open at 100%.. This is the best setting for most pools. To clean the bottom of the pool you need to vacuum the dirt up, just like you do with a carpet in your house.. You can do this three ways..

1. With a manual vacuum and hose
2. With a suction side pool cleaner
3. With a Robot..

I use low voltage Robots to clean my pools and love them..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Nick,

Thanks for the pics.. It is clear that you have two inputs to your pump, the Skimmer and the Main Drain. As I said before, your main drain will not really have enough suction to suck up dirt. If you brush dirt into a cloud over the main drain, a little will get into the main drain, but not enough to make it worthwhile.

I suggest that you close the valve to the main drain so that it is only open about 10% and leave the skimmer open at 100%.. This is the best setting for most pools. To clean the bottom of the pool you need to vacuum the dirt up, just like you do with a carpet in your house.. You can do this three ways..

1. With a manual vacuum and hose
2. With a suction side pool cleaner
3. With a Robot..

I use low voltage Robots to clean my pools and love them..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, just seems that I would find dirt and leave clining to the top of the main drain and not I don't, I have a zodiac pool cleaner that I need to refurbish

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.