Main drain has been disconnected

Tmo

Jun 7, 2023
San Bernardino
Hello my friend is purchasing a home with a pool and the owner says when the original pool heater was removed the contractor disconnected the main drain (closed it off for non use) and the pool now filters through the skimmer return and the pool cleaner only. Is it ok to seal off the main drain like that and only use the skimmer as the main filtration system? Thanks ahead of time.

Tmo,

There are thousands and thousands of pool out there without an operating main drain, and they all work just fine. I happen to have two of them.. :mrgreen:

Why do you think you need a main drain?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Tmo
There's a large hole in the bottom of the pool? Just wanted to make sure it was ok 👌 so thank you
It depends on why they removed the drain. Adding a heater is not a reason to do so. It likely means there was a leak in the plumbing.

Also, a large hole???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tmo,

If plugged right at the drain, it would be in the pipe under the cover.

It may just be capped off at the skimmer or at the equipment pad.

In my case, the pipe is not capped off at all, I just don't have the floating diverter valve in the skimmer. Without the diverter, the main drain will never work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Got it. I'll see if we can squeeze some more details out of the property owner about where is capped off at.
Also we are assuming the owner is being truthful and informed about reality. That’s not always the case, especially with pools or property being sold with a big price tag on it. 😉

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.