LXI 400 Heater Ignition Lockout Error

JoJessup

Apr 16, 2022
Texas
I have been trying to get my Jandy LXI 400 (propane) working for the last year and a half and still no luck. Here is the latest:
Blower comes on, I hear the 3 clicks, I smell propane, nothing ignites, get “Ignition Lockout” error. So far I have:
1) replaced flame sensor
2) replaced ignighter
3) replaced gas valve
4) replaced Fenwell control module
5) checked hoses to air pressure switch for cracks
6) checked air pressure switch with multimeter
7) checked propane level in main tank
8) removed small visible amount of corrosion on the Universal Controller Power Interface
9) Had an HVAC guy out and he attempted to bypass the Air Pressure Switch to see if it would ignite and it would not

Next step:
1) Replace the Air Pressure Switch?

Looking at old threads, two other options are:
1) check gas with manometer even though we clearly smell propane
2) clean off “2 spade connectors”, but I am not sure where or what these are

Any other suggestions?

Check your gas pressure.

A propane heater will only try to light off once before throwing the Ignition Fault.

If the igniter is good then you have a gas problem or a flame sense problem.

@swamprat69 can describe additional diagnostics you can do in those areas with your multimeter.

Last edited:
Is there a way to check it without having to buy a new one?

You probably could test the resistance but I am not sure what it is supposed to be. It is a consumable so you will need another ignitor at some point anyway.

Here is a post talking about testing the ignitor.

Check your gas pressure.

A propane heater will only try to light off once before throwing the Ignition Fault.

If the igniter is good then you have a gas problem or a flame sense problem.

@swamprat69 can describe additional diagnostics you can do in those areas with your multimeter.
I checked gas readings. Input pressure should be min 11 WC and manifold should be 9 WC. Input was 2.8 kpa (which is equivalent to 11WC). Output pressure was .2kpa and should be 2.2. I attempted to adjust the pressure but when I tried, the pressure did not change and I got nervous about turning it too much. This is a new gas valve too.

I have been trying to get my Jandy LXI 400 (propane) working for the last year and a half and still no luck. Here is the latest:
Blower comes on, I hear the 3 clicks, I smell propane, nothing ignites, get “Ignition Lockout” error. So far I have:
1) replaced flame sensor
2) replaced ignighter
3) replaced gas valve
4) replaced Fenwell control module
5) checked hoses to air pressure switch for cracks
6) checked air pressure switch with multimeter
7) checked propane level in main tank
8) removed small visible amount of corrosion on the Universal Controller Power Interface
9) Had an HVAC guy out and he attempted to bypass the Air Pressure Switch to see if it would ignite and it would not

Next step:
1) Replace the Air Pressure Switch?

Looking at old threads, two other options are:
1) check gas with manometer even though we clearly smell propane
2) clean off “2 spade connectors”, but I am not sure where or what these are

Any other suggestions?
Hi @JoJessup, did you ever resolve your issue? I'm having a similar issue.

No, I replaced the igniter twice so I know that I have a good igniter. I checked the gas pressure and it is close to fine. I need to check the power going to the igniter next. I have to buy a multimeter and learn how to check it. So that is my next step

No, I replaced the igniter twice so I know that I have a good igniter. I checked the gas pressure and it is close to fine. I need to check the power going to the igniter next. I have to buy a multimeter and learn how to check it. So that is my next step
It wouldn't be the air pressure switch because the gas valve is opening.

Put your positive from your meter onto either of the ignitor leads from the fenwal and stick the other probe to ground. Check both leads (still with the negative prove from the meter to ground) , they should both be at 120v or so, 10 to 15 seconds after the blower kicks on. If your gas valve is opening the fenwal is doing its job with everything other than the ignitor.

I replaced the pressure switch (although now I know it was not the issue). The issue was the control circuit board. The voltage going to the transformer was low so I replaced the control circuit board and all works now! I wish I would have figured this out before replacing $1000 of parts that worked just fine! But after a year and a half and 7 hired workers, I am proud to say I fixed it on my own (single woman here)! Thanks for your help!

Reactions: NickPSI

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.