Lueder coping not cut uniformly

zimmebri

Sep 10, 2020
Austin, TX
Hey All,

Let me know if these are issues to concern myself with. Modern pool with grey lueders for coping + 6x24" grey tiles at the waterline. I noticed the tile guys made random length cuts on site to the lueders (backside of pool are ~38", front are 25"). I was willing to give this a pass as the pool has 6 sides with the tanning ledge and isn't a perfect rectangle. However, I cannot help but notice how the waterline grout lines are all mismatched from the coping grout lines and it drives me batty.

Will I see any of these imperfections with water in the pool? If the tiles guys were cutting the lueder anyways, why wouldn't they go for uniformity and cut the lueders to 24" to match the other tile? The goal was to create a seamless look between the coping and waterline tile. Sorry for the poor pics, I can grab some better ones tomorrow.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_191216.jpg
    IMG_20210313_191216.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20210313_191243.jpg
    IMG_20210313_191243.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 147
The waterline tile is usually not coordinated with the coping, but the tile is especially long, so that's unusual.

I can see where it can look awkward.

Once it's grouted and the pool is full of water, it will be less noticeable.

It's really a subjective aesthetic issue.

So, it's really going to come down to how important it is to you.

Unless the contract specified a particular design, I would think that you would be responsible for a change order.

Z,

I agree with James.. If you wanted something special, you should have told them ahead of time.. As a general rule the coping grout lines do not normally line up with the waterline tile grout lines..

I think it shows more in your case, because of the size of the waterline tiles.

I do agree it would look better if things lined up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here is the view from my livingroom. The waterline tile was sold based on its ability to blend into the coping...maybe that issue will go away when water is in the pool.

I still question the coping cuts. The stones on the long end are 15" longer than the stones used on the tanning ledge. The factory edges don't face the same direction meaning I see saw blade marks, spacing between the stones varies by an eighth of an inch, and one run of stone is not squared. My builder is coming out to chat but are these truly aesthetic issues, items that can be fixed with sanding, or a bad tile job? Also, the contract said the lueders were to be faced "front only" but the back wall has cuts going both ways.

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_093324.jpg
    IMG_20210314_093324.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 88
Here is the view from my livingroom. The waterline tile was sold based on its ability to blend into the coping...maybe that issue will go away when water is in the pool.

I still question the coping cuts. The stones on the long end are 15" longer than the stones used on the tanning ledge. The factory edges don't face the same direction meaning I see saw blade marks, spacing between the stones varies by an eighth of an inch, and one run of stone is not squared. My builder is coming out to chat but are these truly aesthetic issues, items that can be fixed with sanding, or a bad tile job? Also, the contract said the lueders were to be faced "front only" but the back wall has cuts going both ways.
I see what you are talking about but don't think it looks bad. As other have said if the grout is light colored then it will fade as will the coping cuts.

My guess if none of this matching coping cuts with tile cuts isn't in the contract the builder isn't going to offer much and they probably shouldn't. This is a design/material choice not really a build issue. But see what they say.

Anything can be fixed with enough money. To cut the coping to match the waterline tile would use a LOT more coping stones. That will increase the cost for you. If that is what you really want then ask for it but be ready for a charge for it.

I have a very similar tile and layout to your pool - and I never thought about the grout lines matching the coping - mine don't and change all the way down the pool. It has never been a thought (until now --- thanks alot!! :eek:)

I don't ever notice ours - and would be worried about having all the grout lines line up as I think it would show more than having them spaced differently.

Here is a photo before:
IMG_1447.JPG

Here is an after photo:

20160723_083035.jpg

Reactions: johnywess

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are doing something similar with a 14x28 coping and a 6x12 waterline tile. My feeling are as long as the grout for the coping matches the coping and the grout for the waterline matches the waterline tile it won’t be noticeable.

love your selections, where did u get the coping and tile, I could only find 6x12

I think the blending PB is referencing is the color tones. I personally wouldn't want matching grout lines at all, would look bad to my eye. Grout it with similar shade amd you wont notice it at all. Now for the cuts if the contract states factory side to water then that should be the case not double cuts

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.