Low water pressure reading/low water features flow

Dec 6, 2013
I’m experiencing low pressure reflected in low flow in the water features. Normally I see that when the filter is dirty however that is not the case as I cleaned it and besides in those cases the gauge would have a higher read, not lower.

In troubleshooting I bypassed the filter system and the water features are working normal. What could be the issue? I will open the filter housing this weekend but wanted to get additional ideas here.

The two main things that cause weak water flow are...

1. A dirty filter
2. VS pump set to a low RPM.

If you have a single speed pump, then your filter is most likely dirty. If you can bypass the filter and it works, what else could it be? :scratch:

My guess is that you have algae, even if you can't see it yet, that is quickly clogging your filter. You are correct that most of the time this will cause higher filter pressure, but not always. The pressure gauge can get plugged and show the wrong pressure.

I suppose you could have a clogged impeller, so that would be something to check, but I doubt it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi All, thank for your replies. I changed it yesterday to filter bypass (recirculating) yesterday and is working ok which might discard and intake piping blockage and more of a clogged filter but I cleaned the filter 2 weeks ago and on top of that the pressure gauge reading is below normal when filter is on. I will open the filter housing later this week but wanted to let you know where I’m at.

Hi All, thank for your replies. I changed it yesterday to filter bypass (recirculating) yesterday and is working ok which might discard and intake piping blockage and more of a clogged filter but I cleaned the filter 2 weeks ago and on top of that the pressure gauge reading is below normal when filter is on. I will open the filter housing later this week but wanted to let you know where I’m at.
What type of filter? If it is DE with a MPV and bypassing the filter itself improves flow, you have found the problem. If it is DE, open the tank, remove the grids, reassemble it without them and try it. Good flow? Clogged grids. Lower than normal operating pressure usually indicates a suction problem, but could also be a clogged impeller that moves enough water without filter restriction to seem normal.

I have a DE filter however I cleaned it two weeks ago so I don't think is a clogged filter, in addition the gauge has a low reading, usually when the filter is clogged it goes to like 20 psi, now is a bit below 10 when it normally runs at 15. I'll dismount the pump to see if the impeller is clogged.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What type of filter? If it is DE with a MPV and bypassing the filter itself improves flow, you have found the problem. If it is DE, open the tank, remove the grids, reassemble it without them and try it. Good flow? Clogged grids. Lower than normal operating pressure usually indicates a suction problem, but could also be a clogged impeller that moves enough water without filter restriction to seem normal.
I have a DE filter however I cleaned it two weeks ago so I don't think is a clogged filter, in addition the gauge has a low reading, usually when the filter is clogged it goes to like 20 psi, now is a bit below 10 when it normally runs at 15. I'll dismount the pump to see if the impeller is clogged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.