Low Salt Reading on SWG Display Panel

Sep 5, 2017
Gray, Ga
Hello all...We have an in-ground pool that was redone in 2017 with new liner and new SWG (Hayward Aqua Plus). This past summer had big algae problem that we finally got under control with SLAM. We are in Georgia and don't close our pool. I test with a Taylor kit and make sure all levels are good, then I decrease chlorination to 30% when swim season is over. Long story short, we have had up to 15 inches of rain and now the display is saying "check system low salt". It also says no chlorination low temperature. We have had 20 degree nights and 45 degree days this week. On Tuesday, the salt reading was 2600. We added one bag and now there is no salt reading at all. Is this something to call the installer about? I have to say our installation experience was not great...we had a leak around the steps that he came out and "fixed" twice. It is too big of an investment to not know what is causing this salt reading issue. Please help and thanks for your unending support!

Last edited:
How did you get that salt reading? If it was off the unit, then you should take a sample to a local pool store (if you don't have salt test equip) and see what they say the salt level is.

I don't think you'll get a salt reading if the unit isn't running.

What is the water temp right now?

Post all of the diagnostic readings.
It isn't giving me a water temp reading but yesterday it was 58 degrees. The pump is set to come on if water temp goes below 50 degrees, but I run the pump 4 hours a day otherwise. Diagnostics say Air temp-73 degrees, salt level 2600, check system low salt, chlorinator- off, instant salt chlorinator- off, flow switch-no flow, cell temperature sensor 63 degrees, water sensor 69 degrees. I don't quite understand what is going on because normally I get the air temperature and the water temperature along with salt level reading...salt level reading was not there this morning but is now.

How did you get that salt reading? If it was off the unit, then you should take a sample to a local pool store (if you don't have salt test equip) and see what they say the salt level is.

I don't think you'll get a salt reading if the unit isn't running.
The salt reading came off the unit display, but it doesn't always give the reading and I don't understand that. For example, the pump runs 4 hours a day. When I checked the display this morning with pump on, there was no salt level being shown. About 20 minutes ago after the pump had cut off, it showed 2600.

I’ve noticed In lower water temp the salt sensor on the SWG can be WAY Off. Mine is reading 3059 right now when I know after testing with my Taylor kit and a separate meter it is 3600. As my water warmed up a few weeks ago it got closer to my Taylor readings. Point is I’d get a good test kit like the Taylor one and test it then u will know. Not sure about the Hayward SWG but my Pentair one will shut off and quit making chlorine at 2600 (rather when the reading on the SWG says below 2600).

I’ve noticed In lower water temp the salt sensor on the SWG can be WAY Off. Mine is reading 3059 right now when I know after testing with my Taylor kit and a separate meter it is 3600. As my water warmed up a few weeks ago it got closer to my Taylor readings. Point is I’d get a good test kit like the Taylor one and test it then u will know. Not sure about the Hayward SWG but my Pentair one will shut off and quit making chlorine at 2600 (rather when the reading on the SWG says below 2600).
Will do and thanks so much. I tend to think that shut off is the case as we have never had a salt reading this low. But we have not had this much rain in such a short period either since we put the pool in...we haven't really had much overflow of the pool water either as we have the last few weeks with all the rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.