Low pressure on vacuum

JCJ

Apr 20, 2019
Arizona
Hi, new to forum. I'm in Arizona and it's almost too hot to work on the pool, but I must! I've had three different pool repair guys out here the last year and a half, and I still have the same problem. I have a new variable pool pump which I'm finally figuring out how to use, and I've replaced just about everything except the pool itself, but I still have low pressure on the Hayward vacuum, so it's not picking up the dead algae and the pool stays green. I've replace the old vacuum, but new one does the same, they run for a short while and then just stop. Maybe they are bogged down by the algae. I had the pool emptied last April, and just didn't want to do it again, and now it's too late because the heat has returned here and I really can't afford for the pool to crack... Anyway, now I'm wondering if there is a plastic bag or something clogging a line somewhere. They blow over the back wall into the pool on occasion. I had one of the guys blow out the lines, but he took a fraction of the time that the YouTube video guy took, so who knows if that was even helpful, or just a scam job. I backwash, but don't want to pay $85 for the latest guy to pull the DE filters out and clean. I can't pull them out right now myself, still recovering from a couple surgeries... I do take the lid off and wash as much as I can without taking them out, but the algae is so thick and the pressure so low, that nothing improves. So, does anyone have an idea about the pressure, and what I can do about fixing it? Or even recommend a pool guy that actually can troubleshoot, instead of just replacing this and that? Thank you for any input...
JJ

Welcome to TFP.

Filtering and vacuuming will not fix a green pool algae problem.

Algae needs to be killed by high levels of chlorine maintained in the water along with brushing the pool to break the biofilm protecting the algae until the algae is killed.

You need your own test kit like the TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C and then following the SLAM Process process. You can put your MPV on RECIRCULATE during the SLAM Process until your pool is clear and then clean your filter and vacuum to waste the dead algae.

If you can't handle that due to your surgeries then you need to find some help who will follow the process.

We do have a bunch of members in AZ and if you put a more specific location then someone may be able to provide recommendations for help.

If you are going to hang around here please put details of your pool in your signature. See What we need to know to answer your questions

Last edited:
jcj,

You have a chemical issue and not a filter or vacuum issue as Allen has pointed out.. Of course your vacuum is not working because you filter is doing its job of filtering the water.. The problem is there is no way your filter can clear the water faster than the algae can multiple..

So, how do you get from where you are to a clear pool? Step one is to find out where you are chemically.. Without knowing where you are, it is impossible to chart a path to where you need to go..

We would be glad to get you pointed in the right direction, but to do that we both need to be on the same page and use the same test kits and methods..

I use the TF-100, but the Taylor K-2006C will work. And yes, the "C" on the end is important...

Please read through our "Pool School" and see what we are all about. Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m kind of new here too but I will say these guys know what they are taking about. Find a good source of liquid chlorine and start SLAMing. Read about it in pool school.

Those pool cleaning vacuums and robots are just meant to maintain a clean pool. They won’t do start ups, clean a ton of debris or kill algae. You need to get your water chemistry under control and kill the ecosystem that’s living in your pool. Only sanitizer will do that. Welcome and best of luck! Your pool will be sparkling in no time.

Welcome to TFP.

Filtering and vacuuming will not fix a green pool algae problem.

Algae needs to be killed by high levels of chlorine maintained in the water along with brushing the pool to break the biofilm protecting the algae until the algae is killed.

You need your own test kit like the TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C and then following the SLAM Process process. You can put your MPV on RECIRCULATE during the SLAM Process until your pool is clear and then clean your filter and vacuum to waste the dead algae.

If you can't handle that due to your surgeries then you need to find some help who will follow the process.

We do have a bunch of members in AZ and if you put a more specific location then someone may be able to provide recommendations for help.

If you are going to hang around here please put details of your pool in your signature. See What we need to know to answer your questions
Thank you! I did stop at the store after posting yesterday and got some more shock and algae killer! so I'll read about the SLAM and try that first! :)

Stay away from the algae killer. It is most likely copper based and can cause staining and green hair, besides being a waste of money. Chlorine is the best algae killer.

Hi Judy, welcome to TFP. :wave:

Before you do anything to your pool, you need to pick up one of the test kits mentioned above. Either This one, or This one. Those are the only 2 that we recommend for residential pool care.
Once you have your kit, do a full round of tests, and post the results.
If you need help testing, don’t be afraid to ask. We have a ton of people that will walk you through everything, and get you up to speed.

Thank you! I did stop at the store after posting yesterday and got some more shock and algae killer! so I'll read about the SLAM and try that first! :)

We don't use pool store shock or algae killer. Shock will add CYA to your pool which you probably don't need.

We use liquid chlorine to get the levels of chlorine needs to kill algae. Please read about the SLAM Process process and ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and our methods.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.