Low pressure issue, what’s my first step?

Millergirl

Oct 19, 2019
Texas
Hello! A couple of days ago I noticed more air than usual in the filter basket. Then realized that the water features don’t have their usual pressure.
As of today, there’s only a tiny bit of air in filter basket, looks normal. But the water features still lack pressure. (I have three sheer descents and a bubbler)
NOTE: My filter pressure gauge is not working, so I’m not relying on the reading.

All baskets are clear. Valves all in proper positions.
Cleaner seems to be running fine (has a booster pump)
Variable speed pump is set to 1200 low / 3600 high

What’s my first step? Check for impeller debris? I've never done this before so didn't want to jump in without confirming!
Thanks!

Thanks, Jim! The filter was cleaned in Dec and was pretty pristine then, could it have gotten that bad since? My pool will be 2 years old next month and I have the pool company come three times since it was finished for filter cleaning and equipment check.
Do you think I should check the filter first?
P.S. This is my second gauge. The first one died after the 'snowmaggen' freeze last year, and the new one has never worked right. The pool company guy acted like they aren't reliable anyway, sigh.

Mg,

The number one cause for weak water flow is a dirty filter. Show us some pics of your equipment pad and we can tell you if we see anything else that is obviously not right.

A filter can clog within a few hours is you have algae, even if you can't see it yet.

Having an operating pressure gauge on your filter is very important as this helps you know when the filter needs to be cleaned.

Right after the filter is cleaned, you look at the gauge and record the filter's "Clean Pressure". Then when you check again you can tell how dirty the filter is by how much the pressure has gone up.

How does your water look? Who tests and maintains the chemicals in your pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mg,

The number one cause for weak water flow is a dirty filter. Show us some pics of your equipment pad and we can tell you if we see anything else that is obviously not right.

A filter can clog within a few hours is you have algae, even if you can't see it yet.

Having an operating pressure gauge on your filter is very important as this helps you know when the filter needs to be cleaned.

Right after the filter is cleaned, you look at the gauge and record the filter's "Clean Pressure". Then when you check again you can tell how dirty the filter is by how much the pressure has gone up.

How does your water look? Who tests and maintains the chemicals in your pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, the water is crystal clear. I test and maintain it, but I also have the PB test the water to confirm my results. I'm not home so can't send a pic right now.

As Jim said, algae can clog a filter very quickly. You said your pool is 'crystal' clear. If so, your water chemistry data will show proper FC/CYA ratios.
Some folks 'crystal clear' is not very clear. Can you call heads or tails on a quarter in the deep end?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Was just recently in your shoes millergirl, low return flow, Venturi jets no longer pulling air and making bubbles, pump basket was only priming halfway, spillover spa was barely spilling over. My filter gauge was flakey and had to tap it several times to register (need to replace). Thought 3 months was too soon to need a cleaning but started thinking about all the dirt from surround fields, oak trees and heavy rains with plenty of dirt brought in the pool made me think twice. Once I cleaned the filter (was filthy, with so much gunk) everything went back to normal. Had almost forgotten how strong jets and spillover was. 😊

Reactions: Millergirl
As Jim said, algae can clog a filter very quickly. You said your pool is 'crystal' clear. If so, your water chemistry data will show proper FC/CYA ratios.
Some folks 'crystal clear' is not very clear. Can you call heads or tails on a quarter in the deep end?
Yes, definitely. Now my deepest is only 4.5 ft but definitely clear enough to see heads/tails. We're going to open up and check the filters when I get home.

Mg,

If nothing else, by cleaning the filter you have eliminated it as the cause of the problem.

I suspect that cleaning the filter will fix the problem, at least temporarily. If the problem comes back in a few days, then it is a good bet you have algae.

It could also be some kind of valve position issue, but that is less likely, and we will need to see several equipment pad pics to troubleshoot.

Keep in mind the amount of flow is based upon your pump speed. So, if you normally run your spillover at 2000 RPM, but somehow set the pump to run at 1000 RPM, the spillover will be much weaker than you are used to seeing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mg,

If nothing else, by cleaning the filter you have eliminated it as the cause of the problem.

I suspect that cleaning the filter will fix the problem, at least temporarily. If the problem comes back in a few days, then it is a good bet you have algae.

It could also be some kind of valve position issue, but that is less likely, and we will need to see several equipment pad pics to troubleshoot.

Keep in mind the amount of flow is based upon your pump speed. So, if you normally run your spillover at 2000 RPM, but somehow set the pump to run at 1000 RPM, the spillover will be much weaker than you are used to seeing.

Thanks,

Mg,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Mystery solved! Apparently when I reset the variable pump speeds, it lowered the default on the water features. I reset them to use the higher speed and everything back to normal. We did look at the filter and they were clean. Thanks to everyone who helped!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.