Low PH, High Alkalinity help

jay9suited

May 12, 2024
Michagan
Hello, new user and relatively new to pools. We have an in ground ~32,000 Gal. salt water pool that I am having a hard time getting balanced. The TA was 200 and PH 7.8 so I added acid until the TA was around 120 and the PH was 6.8 .... I then added Soda Ash to raise PH but the TA is back to 200. I have been working on this for a couple of weeks before researching that soda ash also raises TA? And that I should instead aerate the pool? I currently have the return jets pointed as high as they can go and our little giant cover pump in the shallow end making bubbles. Is there any other recommendations such as building a custom aerator that connects to jets or something that I can add to the pool to raise PH and not affect TA?

This has been extremely frustrating so hopefully I can get some help, thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP.

High TA is not necessarily bad. It depends if you have any equipment it can effect. But we don't know that until you create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

As you found out adding Soda Ash is not the way to raise pH in most instances. With high TA better to be patient and let it rise naturally helped by whatever aeration you can do.

Last edited:
Hello, new user and relatively new to pools. We have an in ground ~32,000 Gal. salt water pool that I am having a hard time getting balanced. The TA was 200 and PH 7.8 so I added acid until the TA was around 120 and the PH was 6.8 .... I then added Soda Ash to raise PH but the TA is back to 200. I have been working on this for a couple of weeks before researching that soda ash also raises TA? And that I should instead aerate the pool? I currently have the return jets pointed as high as they can go and our little giant cover pump in the shallow end making bubbles. Is there any other recommendations such as building a custom aerator that connects to jets or something that I can add to the pool to raise PH and not affect TA?

This has been extremely frustrating so hopefully I can get some help, thanks in advance!
Welcome,

Just manage the pH so it stays 7-something. The TA doesnt harm anything except effect the pH. PH will rise all by itself if you have high TA.

I added acid until the TA was around 120 and the PH was 6.8
Keep the pH in the 7s. Normally, add enough MA to lower the pH by a maximum of 0.4. Retest and add more MA if needed.

I then added Soda Ash to raise PH
Soda ash and baking soda will (almost) never be needed in a non-trichlor pool such as yours. The pH will rise all by itself and no action is required. Aeration does speed up the pH rise if desired.