therealschwartz

May 18, 2021
Bedford, NY
I just opened our outdoor pool, roughly 30,000 gallons in New York. I'm using the Taylor test kit and my CYA readings are below 30. I have a in-line chlorinator using 3" pucks. I realize my CYA is low but nervous to bring my CYA up too high knowing that it will slowly increase over time with the pucks and no way to lower other than replacing water. I only ran the 3" pucks last year, I'm not sure what the previous owner did as I added the in-line chlorinator.

Is it worth raising my CYA up or should I test it mid-year to see where I stand?

Other test results:
PH 7.5
Alk 80
Hardness 210
CYA < 30
Chlorine ~ 2 but shocked it yesterday and it's slowly increasing as the pool warms up

Thanks for your input,
Steve

Hello Steve and welcome! :wave: How's the water temp? If it's still cold, you could use the tabs and hope that in a week or two the CYA makes it to 30. Or you could add granular stabilizer, maybe only 10 ppm worth for an immediate boost, but not so high you can't use tabs later if you want. As you may know, tabs are also acidic and can pull the pH and TA down too, so be mindful of that as well. Remember to always refer to the TFP FC/CYA Levels to keep the FC and CYA balanced properly.

Hello Steve and welcome! :wave: How's the water temp? If it's still cold, you could use the tabs and hope that in a week or two the CYA makes it to 30. Or you could add granular stabilizer, maybe only 10 ppm worth for an immediate boost, but not so high you can't use tabs later if you want. As you may know, tabs are also acidic and can pull the pH and TA down too, so be mindful of that as well. Remember to always refer to the TFP FC/CYA Levels to keep the FC and CYA balanced properly.
Thank you. I’m at 78f right about now on my Heater Reader. I’ll buy some stabilizer and slowly add!

Reactions: Texas Splash
I opened my pool on Friday. It was a mess - green, leaves and all sorts of junk at the bottom of the pool. It took all day to clean the organic material out. Upon taking the cover off, I realized that there was a massive hole in my cover that let the debris in - not to mention the company that closed my pool did not do a good job cleaning the pool before closing it.

On Friday (5/21) I used the In The Swim pool opening kit - added 4 pounds of shock along with Algaecide. On Sunday, 5/23, I added 6 more pound of shock to my pool water. I've added 10 pucks to my in-line chlorinator and set the level to max. I replaced my filter cartridges yesterday and have been running it 24/7 since Friday. The water has finally cleared up - going from a 0/10 on clarity to about an 8.5/10 this evening. I've attached photos.

I'm having trouble getting my FC levels up. My CYA (as posted in a different thread) is <30. I'm getting conditioner. My FC levels are about 1-2 PPM. Any suggestions how to get the levels up for a period of time to make sure water is safe for swimming? The water temp is about 75 after 24 hours of heating it from 55 degrees. I'm confused why so much shock wouldn't increase the FC levels. I know there was all sorts of organic material in the pool and I'm sure this is related - I've brushed and vacuumed several times. Maybe I just need more time to get levels up. I've also seen several rodents come through the pipes and find their way to the filter basket in the pump.

Photos attached of pool at opening, where it is now and my Chlorine test.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo May 24, 2 45 52 PM.jpg
    Photo May 24, 2 45 52 PM.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo May 24, 6 19 47 PM.jpg
    Photo May 24, 6 19 47 PM.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo May 21, 10 58 10 AM.jpg
    Photo May 21, 10 58 10 AM.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Checkout the links below. We can always help more with specific brands if you get a pic of the label.

Checkout the links below. We can always help more with specific brands if you get a pic of the label.

mknauss recommended Ocean State Job Lot - do you guys like this stuff?

OSJL rocks for pool stuff. I bought 8 gals of liquid shock and 2 lbs of cal-hypo (2 bag limit... but no limit on the liquid 😂) last week. We also picked up a solar cover, which are out of stock everywhere else.

OSJL rocks for pool stuff. I bought 8 gals of liquid shock and 2 lbs of cal-hypo (2 bag limit... but no limit on the liquid 😂) last week. We also picked up a solar cover, which are out of stock everywhere else.
Unreal!
What solar cover did you end up with? I've been thinking about getting one, but I have grass around the pool. I'm sure if I pulled that off and rolled it up - it would bring a ton of junk back into the pool when putting it back on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.